Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm still here...but work has got in the way of any progress with either car recently.

The Clio soldiers on without any drama, my daughter still loves it and always wants to go out in "the blue car" so we have used it at every opportunity.

I treated the Saab to 4 new tyres - it had Firestones on the front which were on the limit and Sunny's on the rear (which were nowhere near the limit because the compound is harder than titanium!) In my defence, the Sunnys were on the car when I bought it. I settled for BF Goodrich G Grips in the end, they do work a lot better than the previous tyres and there is very little road noise in the cabin (although again the Sunnys were to blame for this)

And it doesnt try to throw me backwards off any roundabouts at 25mph now (again, blame the Sunnys...)

And happy 3rd birthday to my little Angel too on Saturday :d

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It's been a while since I updated this - in between travelling abroad a lot for work recently and weekends with my daughter have meant I haven't had much time for anything else. But this weekend was completely empty, so I got on with a couple of jobs on the Clio

First up was restoring the headlamps. Anyone familar with Renaults and their plastic lenses will know they discolour over time, and eventually this can upset the beam pattern and cause an MOT failure. I used this guide from Lagdti when I had my Laguna a few years ago, so I followed the same steps again this time. To start with the headlamps looked like this

After approx one hour on each side working through the steps in the above guide, I had a pair of headlamps that now look like this

Looks much better and the beam throw from the Xenons seems improved now too.

Next up I decided to tackle the missing external temperature display. As you can see, I just had no temperature showing under the clock on the dashboard

The sensor lives in the passenger wing mirror, and is the little black blob hanging underneath the mirror housing.
I had a look on Google and here about why the temperature display was not showing. Apparently it is not working correctly if there is a wrong temperature showing, and if nothing shows then it has either packed up or is not plugged in. I also learnt that apparently this is linked to the air con system (typical Renault eh?) and the system uses a combination of outside temp and internal temp (there is a sensor near the interior light) to work out how to run the air con / climate control. This would possibly explain why my car was still warm when it was set to 16 degrees. So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a new sensor (£8 from eBay, arrived next day)...and then promptly went to this www.kendalcalling.co.uk

So, I eventually got round to fitting today. First job was to remove the mirror glass. Angle the mirror downwards and then carefully insert something flat and wide behind the glass to prise it off the clips holding it in place. Once this is done, you can then release the four plastic clips holding the mirror casing in place

Once the casing is off, the sensor dangles free. Then it is a case of cutting the wires, connecting the new sensor (just twist the wires together and wrap with electrical tape - it is a thermistor so heat transfer from soldering could damage the sensor) and then refit the casing, and then refit the glass. Switch the ignition on and get this:

Oddly, after doing this and then driving the car, the 2k rpm hesitation issues seems to have disappeared. I have no idea if the outside temp sensor is responsible for this or not??

I feel like it was a productive weekend :d

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Rather than just twisting wires together, I would try to use electrician's small white nylon screw terminal blocks, the 2A type are quite small; twisted wires WILL tarnish over time and go open-circuit.

HTH

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Rather than just twisting wires together, I would try to use electrician's small white nylon screw terminal blocks, the 2A type are quite small; twisted wires WILL tarnish over time and go open-circuit.

HTH
Good point. I did wrap the twisted wires in electrical tape and I've then taped them to the main body of the mirror to reduce movement. If anything happens I'll consider those terminal blocks, thankyou

11 degrees on my way to work this morning, where has summer gone??

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I seem to have a self-healing Clio...

Arriving at work on Tuesday morning and there was steam coming from the grille, next to the driver side headlight. There is (was) a leak there and I am sure it is the radiator and not the hoses. Radweld has been put in before and cured it.

Anyway, leaving work I topped up the water, and then drove home. No change in the water level. I have also managed a return trip to Heathrow (the Saab was in for its MOT) and again no change in water level. I've managed about 200 miles since the steam on Tuesday morning.

Anyway, before winter arrives I want to change the radiator and will do the hoses at the same time. I'll be attempting this myself :eek:

I've been recommended this radiator but i also need to get coolant and hoses before i start.

I will also swap my headlight bulbs to a matched pair to cure my OCD frustration as the fornt of the car has to come off anyway.

In other news, the Saab passed its MOT with a couple of advisories on anti roll bar pins - not bad considering it's done 13k in the last year and 24k in my ownership with only routine servicing and tyres being needed in that time :)

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
4 months on since my last post, so here goes!

I spent a lot of last year travelling for work, and finally managed to take a week off in November. The leaky radiator had got quite bad by now so I decided to tackle that.

£35 for the radiator, £20 for coolant and one of the best friends in the world and this happened :

It took about 8 hours in total, but we managed to change the radiator, refill the coolant and check for any leaks. I also whipped the headlights out and fitted a new "matched" pair of bulbs that I had bought when I first collected the car. Once again I am happy to report that there are no coolant leaks, the temperature is stable and I have two headlights that are both the same colour!

Since the arrival of winter I have noticed the outside temperature gauge permanently reads 5 degrees below the actual temperature. I have no idea why...

The Saab hasn't been so well behaved. One morning it just refused to start, flashed up a million error messages on the dash and refused to acknowledge any fuel in the tank (even though I knew it was over half full). The fault was eventually traced to a broken wire somewhere in the engine bay and a damaged ECU cable. These were replaced (and 3 other chafed wires replaced too) and all is good again. Total cost ended up being £300...not bank breaking but something I could have done without a month before Christmas!!

As for future plans, the Clio has its MOT is due by the end of the month, so far I know the front discs need replacing as well as the rear exhaust mount so these will be done. I am hoping nothing else is wrong though! If it passes then I will also do a full service including changing the spark plugs - I hope these will then cure the 2k rpm hesitation that I still experience.

Happy New Year everyone! :d

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
MOT has now been done, it did not make for pleasant reading!

Failed on the following items

- Rear seatbelts (all 3!) not securing in the locking mechanism
- Nearside front CV joint insecure
- Offside front CV joint insecure
- Offside front CV joint gaiter deteriorated
- Offside front lower suspension arm has excessive play in the ball joint
- Rear exhaust system not adequately supported
- Offside rear brake pad insecure :shocked:
- Offside rear brake pad locking device missing :shocking:

:mechanic:

Some of these I already knew about (the seatbelts, fixed with WD40 and an air gun - they fil with dirt over time, and the exhaust mount which I had bought, but was located on the passenger seat for the MOT test and not the underside of the car!). I also knew about the ball joint but not how bad it had got.

Anyway, everything is now resolved and the car has a new ticket for a year. :driving:

I also have 2 advisories, one for the front discs being pitted or scored, and one for damage to the o/s/f sill being damaged. I have no idea how this happened but as it was not on the previous MOT I presume its happened during my ownership.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes, it doesn't make great reading thats for sure! The rear brakes are what I am most annoyed about, especially as I hadn't noticed and I have my daughter in this car a lot (it's her favourite car!)

Made it up to her this weekend with a 250 mile round trip to my parents. She insisted we took the Clio, then fell asleep 20 minutes into the journey...bless. Then she did the same on the return journey too!

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The trip to my parents last weekend passed without incident. I'd also like to note that since the radiator change in November the coolant level still remains at the max level :)

This weekend I helped a mate prepare a car for scrapping (the 106 in this pic)

We stripped some useful parts out of it, including the battery which was only a month old. He had no use for it and having noticed it is more powerful and has a higher cold crank rating than my current battery, it was donated to me :)

This is the old battery, rated at 47Ah and 420 CCA

The new one is rated at 60Ah and 480 CCA

Its bigger than the old battery (which also seemeed fairly old), and I am hoping the higer ratings prevent some of the starting issues I've had when the car has been sat for any period of time greater than 3 days. Hopefully it also won't fail to start at the car wash again too :mad: My jump starter power pack will continue to stay in the car just in case ;)

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Little update - I decided orange sidelights weren't the greatest look when combined with Xenons so I found some Xenon-look sidelight bulbs - less than £5 for the pair from Euro Car Parts.

This is the old sidelights

Halfway through - the new bulb is on the right

And all finished

Looking much better :d

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks a Tidy Clio - I've always wanted a 2litre but with one little boy and another due in 3 months, money's tight so I'll stick with my 1.4 .....

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thankyou :d

To be honest I don't find it expensive to run. £220 ish insurance for the year, and it averages 35mpg (I don't drive like miss Daisy). Maintenance wise I think I'm around the £250-300 mark in the last 12 months excluding the tyres - it helps if you can do a lot yourself or have a good mate who's a mechanic :)

However, what I couldn't imagine is trying to cart 2 kids around in a Mk2 Clio. My daughter is 3 1/2 now and the boot is just big enough for a weekend away for us, if she then wants her scooter or bike I have to start folding seats down or we take the Saab.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok, boring / geek post time now... :yawn:

I'd been worried that the Clio was overfuelling recently, so I decided on the next fill up I would calculate it's true MPG rather than let the computer do it.

Today was the fill up day. Since the last fill up I managed 354 miles. Today's fill up was 46.82 litres. Converted to gallons that is 10.29 gallons. 354 miles divided by 10.29 gallons gives an average of 34.4mpg over the last tank. Not bad :)

Today's Maths lesson is now over :d

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Ok, boring / geek post time now... :yawn:

I'd been worried that the Clio was overfuelling recently, so I decided on the next fill up I would calculate it's true MPG rather than let the computer do it.

Today was the fill up day. Since the last fill up I managed 354 miles. Today's fill up was 46.82 litres. Converted to gallons that is 10.29 gallons. 354 miles divided by 10.29 gallons gives an average of 34.4mpg over the last tank. Not bad :)

Today's Maths lesson is now over :d
Thats really good considering I get 350ish on a 60 litre tank on my Megane Coupe driving too and from work on a daily basis, so thats pretty good going :D

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I've been quite busy recently so not had much time to do anything car wise. However I did have one free weekend so managed to clay and polish both cars. The Saab I had done before but it's made a big difference to both. If you haven't tried this before then I thoroughly recommend it.

I fitted a new set of Kumho tyres to the Clio at the start of June (from blackcircles.com) and I had the aircon disinfected and regassed last week. It's on 122,000 miles now but still going strong!

Oh, and the new exhaust mount fitted in January has perished already :mad: an uprated one will be ordered this time.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,610 Posts
.............Oh, and the new exhaust mount fitted in January has perished already :mad: an uprated one will be ordered this time.
Struck me as a little OTT on the Scenic.
Back box started knocking a little if I hit a speed bump too fast so got underneath and gave it a shake.
Could just about reach the bodyshell with a good push so decided needed new mounting rubbers.

Expecting one or maybe two of those moulded rubber figure 8's, what do I find but a large lump of pressed steel and rubber moulding. :eek:

Easy enough to swap and not overly expensive but....
Why do the French over complicate everything? :mad:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts