Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I just bought my daughter a 98 Renualt Clio 1.2 RT for her birthday 3 days ago and i have ran into a big problem.Just a few hours after getting the car it refused to start, the engine turned over fine but it wouldn't fire, but after a few attempts it went. This has been the norm since,it might fire first time three or four times in a row then it may have to try several times to get it to go again.Strangly when it wont start the immobiliser light seems normal, that is, it flashes before i switch on the ignition and goes to steady when i switch it on. One thing i have noticed is the noise made buy the fuel pump. When the car starts the pump gives a good steady noise but when it dosen't the pump gives off a sort of short weak high pitched noise. Any help you guys can give is greatly appricated as you can imagine my daughter is quite upset by this as it is her first car :confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
things that spring to mind would be 1:bad earth or loose connection to fuel pump. 2:not sure if this engine has a crankshaft sensor but if it does it could be that. 3:eek:r clogged fuel filter. i would. check connections first. maby someone else will have some better ideas? tj

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
When you switch the ignition on the fuel pump should rin for aonly a few secinds and then stop once pressure has been reached in the fuel system.

If this is not happening then it could be due to a faulty pump, fuel pressure sensor or faulty pressure relay.

You'll need to get at the fuel pump unit under the rear seat to check for voltage supply.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi guys, I just thought that i would give you an update on my progress. I went throught all the usual checks like fuel filter ( which i changed) , i checked voltage going to the pump which was ok, I popped off the fuel pipes which showed a good delivery of petrol, so i was stumped! That was until i started to read some other posts that were close to mine. Some of them mentioned the tdc senser, so i messed around with the car until it wouldnt fire again and when i checked sure enough there was no spark. So i removed the senser and cleaned it and also cleaned the connector and so far (fingers crossed) the car has fired every time.I am now waiting for a new sensor to arrive, this really highlights the bennifets of a site like this one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
hate to say it(pardon my big head) lol. but i think i said crankshaft sensor (tdc) here..... 2.not sure if the car has a crankshaft sensor but if it does it could be that. just jokin glad u sorted it. another case of tdc sensor playing games with another renault owner. tj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.