Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laguna 1.9 DTi 1998 (RF key fob)
Went to start car on Saturday and all the lights came on sinifying everything ok but engine did not turn over. This happened after having just driven the car back from town.
Didn't have time to faff so jumped in wifes car and forgot about it.
Came home later tooled myself up, went to car and it fired up first time. Cursed abit about intermittent faults and decided to blame the immobiliser. Forgot about it until
this when morning driving to work. Stop at shop, go to start car again about 3 mins later, all the lights on but engine did not turn over.
2 hours later go back to car and still nothing, but get an offer to tow it back to work.
Thought I'd tried to bump start the car whilst towing and to my suprise it did. I didn't think the immobilser would allow this, so have I been blaming the wrong thing. The starter sounds fine and has given no warnings that it is on its way out and I assume it's pre-engaged so no solenoids throwing gears in and out.
Hopefully I've given enough info that someone might be able to direct me to the cause of my problems.
Thanks

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
welcome to the forum, it may be your TDC sensor playing up as this can cause similar issues. There have been plenty of posts regarding this recently including regarding Lagunas in the last couple of days. A forum search should throw up more info.
The TDC (crank position) sensor is located above the clutch bellhousing on the Left of the engine, it's held on by 2 bolts (10mm) and although fiddly to get to pretty easy to remove. The end is magnetic so can get furred up with particles reducing it's efficiency, remove it, give a wipe with a cloth and refit also checking the multiplug is secure, then try the car again.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
welcome to the forum, it may be your Top Dead Centre sensor playing up as this can cause similar issues. There have been plenty of posts regarding this recently including regarding Lagunas in the last couple of days. A forum search should throw up more info.
The TDC (crank position) sensor is located above the clutch bellhousing on the Left of the engine, it's held on by 2 bolts (10mm) and although fiddly to get to pretty easy to remove. The end is magnetic so can get furred up with particles reducing it's efficiency, remove it, give a wipe with a cloth and refit also checking the multiplug is secure, then try the car again.
Hi and welcombe
I would check the smal
l w.i..re .on .the back of .the starter motor first as it sounds more like that make sure it fits tight and is clean as some times it can isolate it self and the car will not turn over then there is also the possibility that the brushes are worn and in one certain spot one brush does not make contact if this is the case you can sometimes find out by knocking the starter motor with a hammer stale when it refuses to start this wiil cause brush to make contact and is useful to prove fault
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm on my way out to the car park now armed with trusty hammer ( I thought those days were over) I shall also (try) and check the wire although it didn't look to accessible from the top of the engine and try and find the tdc sensor although I shan't be able to remove it until tonight when I get the car home.
Thanks for your input, I'd really like to think this was something simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully solved.
Reconnected battery still same problem.
Managed to get hold of wires on starter motor and neither were loose, but after a waggle of the small one the car started. So hopefully this was the problem and tonight I shall give them a good clean and lubricate. Will also check the tdc sensor as well.

Thanks again for your input.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The L1 immobiliser doesn't kill the starter. I had a spare key for mine without the transponder chip in it, which I used to use if I wanted to leave the car's electrical systems on but didn't want anyone to be able to steal the car. The car wouldn't start, but you could definitely run the starter motor.

I wouldn't look into the TDC at this point, as that also wouldn't prevent the starter from turning the engine. If the engine turns but won't fire, then the TDC and immobiliser are probably the prime suspects.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

Hi nigelj,

Just wondering if this fixed your problem as i seem to be have the same symptoms.

One minute, i put the card in press the button and the car starts fine.

Next minute, i put the card in, lights on dash light up, press the button, and nothing happens. I could be there for 5 minutes taking the card in and out before it decides to start.

Any info/help would be massively appreciated.

Rich

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Hi nigelj,

Just wondering if this fixed your problem as i seem to be have the same symptoms.

One minute, i put the card in press the button and the car starts fine.

Next minute, i put the card in, lights on dash light up, press the button, and nothing happens. I could be there for 5 minutes taking the card in and out before it decides to start.

Any info/help would be massively appreciated.

Rich
Had this problem this morning. Messing around for five minutes, all lights on then decides to start. Just a glitch? Unplug the battery and plug it in again?

:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts