Independent Renault Forums banner

Immobilizer Light Flashing Fast

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Vapulabis 
#1 ·
I have Clio 2 1.4 16V 2005 model.
Car suddenly stopped starting. There were no prior starting issues. The immobilizer light is flashing continuously fast. Car won't crank. All I hear is a relay closing when I try to crank the car. The key isn't being detected from what I've read.

Central locking is working. Lights are working. Everything electrical is working (except starting). Its a new battery in the car. I had key tested by someone and he said the key is fine. I also tried that bypass trick, i.e turn key to position 2 > keep in key button > turn to position 1 then back to position 2 > start. That didn't work but it wouldn't because the guy said the key is fine and that trick bypasses the key.

I've read elsewhere about the decoder ring around the ignition barrel. I know how to get to it but how do I test it to see if its working? Can I measure the voltage across the wires or something?

I've read about taking out the uch and visually inspecting it, how do I do this.

All fuses located by the glove compartment are fine. What else can I test myself before sending it away to a professional? Did something come loose? Did something get wet? It was raining heavily. The car was working fine. I drove it to the shop and when I came out of the shop it didn't start.

Please assist!

See less See more
#2 ·
Normally with a key problem the immobiliser light flashes fast and will not allow the car to start but they still crank over.
So I suspect something else is the cause, quite possibly water.
I assume you have tried the spare key?
Is the someone who tested the key a professional or a bloke in the queue at Lidl?

Based on the non cranking and the heavy rain, I'm wondering if water has got somewhere it shouldn't?
Underbonnet fuse box and or ECU are favourites if water has been driven up into engine compartment.
Any signs?
UCH/behind dash if water has got into passenger cell via heater due to clogged scuttle drains.... any sign of water in the car, wet carpets, behind the dash?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.