Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I brought myself a nice shiny '03 1.2 Clio Billabong 2 weeks ago as an upgrade from my '99 Corsa B. Love this car, lovely little runner and quite nice bodywork...

That was until some little beep (use your imagination there) decided to put a nice deep key scratch covering my driver door panel and rear driver wing. At the same time they decided to let down my passenger tyres, which I only noticed after going 60 down a main road... There are some pleasant people in this place!

Anyway, best way to remove deep scratches? Ive got myself one of those three stage filler/paint/laquer kits from Halfords, hoping that and alot of buffing/polishing will do the trick. Am I doing the best thing, without taking to a body shop. Am also considering trying some rubbing compound after the cover-up is complete, just to camouflage a bit more.

Any advice would be great. Its incredibly fustrating, i'd only had the car two weeks!!!

BTW its a deep scratch too, gone right down to metal.

R

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Is the paint work metallic ? On scratches that are down to the metal you will have to use a primer and the kits that you mention are good for that. Though I have had more success with aerosols myself on finishing the cover up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Call me stupid, but im not entirely sure tbh. Its black, and im pretty sure it is. Paint code NV676 if thats any help?

Would go aerosol but seems like alot of effort (had to re-spray font of old Corsa), and can potentially go wrong. Kit seems pretty good so far, but i doubt it will return it to factory, and its gonna bug the hell out of me if it dont (i have to see it every time i get in the car!!!!). May try combination of buffing, possibly a bit of compound but heard it causes swirling, so may try body-coloured wax first.

Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
Some times you can get away with polishing the scratches in the clear lacquer of metallic paints to take the whiteness out of the scratch and then spray with clear lacquer and then rub back with 1000/1200 grade wet and dry. Do it wet with a little washing up liquid and wrap the wet and dry paper round a small block of wood or similar.

I have recently sold a Black metallic Scenic and that had loads of scratches all over some just compounded out others I had to spray I used Halfords aerosols and got quite good results

1 - 4 of 4 Posts