Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Infra-Red Central Locking and Immobiliser – some answers

I see a lot of questions on here about central locking and immobiliser problems. I’m not an expert but I have recently completed some research on this subject in order to solve a problem on a ’97 Clio. I started this post as an answer to a question from another member but decided to make it a new thread as the thread it was on was getting huge. Apologies for a small amount of duplication, there’s some old and some new information here.

Be aware that there are many different versions of central locking and immobilisers in use on Renaults, and I am only discussing one particular system here – the one on my ’97 Clio – although it was in use on several models for several years. This is the type with Infra-Red “plip” keys that operate the central locking and engine immobiliser, with a central locking button on the centre console. This is the system where the car won’t start unless you unlock the car with the plip. And yes, once the sunroof leaks into the Infra-Red receiver, you can find yourself immobilised! Assuming your car has the same system as mine, this information may help you. One more caveat – my car has the “rolling code” system, where the code sent by the plip changes every time it is used to prevent it being captured and copied. Earlier cars used a fixed code system. I don’t know how you tell the difference or when the new system came in. But it is always important to know which system we are discussing because they all have different procedures. Please note that everything that follows relates ONLY to the system described above and will be completely wrong for any other system.

This all began because the sunroof started to leak (as they do), and eventually the infra-red receiver in the roof panel stopped working, stranding my wife at work. I managed to recover the car by drying out the infra-red unit and cleaning up its multi-plug contacts, which just about got it going but it would only work if you held the key an inch or two away from it. After some research, I replaced the receiver and now the system works like new. It turns out to be a dead simple job - just pull out the receiver from the roof housing, disconnect the multiplug, clip the new one in and that's it. The Renault part number is 77 00 835 095 and the official part name is "Eye Receiver". I assume that is an error and it was meant to be “IR Receiver”. I get some discount on parts but it seems the retail price for this part is about £38. Anyway the remote locking system now works like new. There was no need to resync the plips or reprogram anything. Looking at the circuit board in the IR Receiver, it is a simple device with no intelligence or memory and does nothing more than amplify and relay the code received from the plip to the injection computer. It is not coded to the car in any way; you just buy a new one off the shelf and plug it in.

You should not normally need to resync the plip with the car unless you buy a new plip or operate it more than 1,000 times without the car recognising it. Resyncing will not enable you to use the wrong plip, or a second-hand plip from another car. You must have the correctly coded plip that matches the code in the injection computer, and neither can ever be re-coded (officially). When you order a new plip it will be coded to match your car and that is not something that can be done at home or changed later. I won’t even discuss changing the injection computer but you probably get the picture.

The code sent by the plip is a mathematical “mashup” of the unlocking code and the rolling code, which the injection computer is able to unravel to extract the unlocking code. But the rolling code must be within 1,000 sequences of the last one it received – hence the need for a special procedure to synchronise it with a new plip. In some rare circumstances it is possible for the plip or the injection computer to lose its sequence. If so, the resync procedure below will bring the sequence expected by the computer back into line with the sequence being transmitted by the plip. The injection computer can keep track of the rolling codes from two plips but you can’t have more than two plips in use on this system.

Now let’s say the battery has gone in your plip, or your sunroof has leaked onto your IR Receiver, or the two are out of sync: There is an emergency procedure for starting the car. First you need to get the four digit emergency unlocking code for your car and then you can use the emergency procedure to enter it into the injection computer manually. Officially you have to get the emergency code from a Renault dealer. The dealer will need your vehicle type (from the oval plate), e.g. 557k, and the plip code from inside the plip (one letter followed by 6 digits). They enter that into a special program and out pops the four digit emergency unlocking code for your car. Since we are all dealerphobes here, you could try Googling for "renault emergency immobiliser code" (without the quotes) – you never know what you might find if you're feeling lucky!

Once you have the four digit emergency code, you can enter it using the central locking button:

1. Switch on the ignition.
2. Press and hold the central locking button (either side). The warning light will go out and then begin to flash every 1.5 seconds. Let it flash the number of times for the first digit of your emergency code, then release the button.
3. Repeat step 2 for the other three digits.

If you get this right, you should now be able to start the engine. If you got it wrong, switch off and start over.

To resync the plip(s) with the car, first follow the emergency procedure above, then:

1. Switch off the ignition
2. Press the central locking button (either side) for more than two seconds. The doors will lock and unlock.
3. You now have 15 seconds to operate the plip twice within 3 seconds, pointing it at the IR Receiver. The doors will lock and unlock after the second press.
4. If you have a second plip, you need to the same with that one too, and all within the 15 seconds.

The emergency unlocking procedure is a handy tip for the inevitable day when your plip goes flat (or your sunroof leaks). I would encourage everyone with this system to get hold of their emergency code before that day comes. I wish I had known all this before I needed it!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Excellent post..now a sticky.

Many thanks ChrisG_UK, I would give you some more rep points but I have to spread them about a bit first.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good post - removes a lot of the speculation over disconnecting batteries etc - I have the same basic system on my Laguna (IR plip) which still unlocks tha car but when I turn the ignition on the Injection and SERV light flash - Main dealer says I need a new Injection ECU (~£600 fitted!). Seems it's not responding to the input from the immobiliser ECU - any further suggestions before e-bay gets another non runner for spares?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have an answer for you Bharkness, except sympathy. New ECU seems to be the stock answer from Renault dealers. Any fault codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I have problem on a Clio Bacarra K REG

the alarm has started playing up ?/

when i operate the key fob the doors lock but the indicator lights are staying on . If i then unlock using the key fob and lock manualy with key then alarm is ok as it sets it self on after 30 seconds.

this happened a few times over last week .
Today i opend door with keyfob , started car and as soon as i shut door the car stopped and alarm sounded . ???
reset alarm with keyfob but car remained immobilised .

I am now worried that if i go out and it plays up again i will get stranded .

Please confirm how to dissable alarm and immobiliser .

The alarm box is connected with a Block connector and is labelled Renault , the sensor is in roof between interior lights . There are sensors at each side of windscreen .

I have found the disable code generator but it says the key should have a letter followed by 7 digits .

The key i have only has 7 digits on a paper cover over the cct board (valeo) and gives me an error the car type is C75B . can any one advise if i am using rigt code and whether there is any other way to dissable alarm

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi dxcgnoc,
I was hoping someone knowledgeable would answer, but since they haven’t yet I’ll throw in my two cents. I assume you mean C57B since I can’t find a C75B. Is that petrol or diesel? Anyway, your locking does not use rolling codes since that came in for Clio in April ’95. So your system uses fixed codes and can’t get out of sync. Anyway the plip is working so I don’t think entering the code manually would help. The only thing I could suggest is thoroughly cleaning up all the contacts in the various connectors that seem to be relevant to the alarm and immobiliser. I’m fairly sure that a lot of these kind of intermittent problems eventually boil down to dodgy connections.

Anyway good luck and please let us know if you crack it. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will chip in too...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for comments

I have got it working again , I disconnected battery connections over night and when reconnected everything worked ok , As you say it is most likely some sort of dodgy connection .

I don,t know where the modules are !

I can only see the alarm box under the bonnet . does anyone know what else is connected .ie ecu sensors switches etc . I haven,t had car long so do not know my way around the wiring ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 1999 3dr clio 2 1.9d basic version with manual locking. Recently the immobiliser light has come on and the car sometimes wont start.... anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Relavant to a 1994 1.4RT?

Hi,

I have been reading the posts with interest as my central locking has started unlocking itself. I don't have an electronic immobiliser (I have the little key in the glove box) but the car is unlocked when I get back to it anyway. It has failed closed but still it starts fine.

The roof has leaked forever, but I have never had any problems from this. It seems I have been lucky and it is the rain that's to blame.

Is it easy to find and clean the IR receiver? The thought of giving it a clean or spending £40 and changing it myself is preferable to a visit to the renault dealer!

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
help needed

Does anyone know how to bypass imobilser on laguna 1 as son in law's key has broke and cant afford 130 quid for new one. can bypass the fuel pump and the car starts up but will not run. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
You need your emergency code and use the button on the wipers stalk to input this after switching ignition on.

Use the program from this post to generate the code.

Edit: A lot of problems originate at low power from the key's battery. You can check if the IR diode works by looking at it through the camera on your cell phone, for instance, to check if it blinks when key button is pressed. If you have no response there change the battery first prior to operating any decodings, bypasses, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ooops dont have a code and no stalk

:eek: its a m reg laguna mrk 1 dont understand what you mean buy stalk they key as completly gone and dont have a code for it so just need to know how bypass imobilser

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Chris,
I have the code and the only problme is resycnhing the plip key. I followed your procedure but got stuck on some points
ok after completing the reset stage, i switch off the iginiton, press the central locking key,

1. Do i take my finger of the central locking key or press it down until the plip key locks and unlock the car?

2. On stage 3 of the resynching , you said 15 seconds to operate the plip twice, what do you mean, is it pressing the plip key twice until the LED on it fades out or continous press. until it unlocks/locks the megane.

I have tried this and i know i am missing it by something simple , please help. can you break it down the idiot's guide way to resynching the plip key?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your tips. I’ve bypass the immobiliser and can start the engine. For how long I can drive my car? I’m afraid to drive my car because I worry if the car engine suddenly goes down. For your info..my car is laguna 1997, petrol..manual transmission. Thanks in advance…

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi,
I have similar problem, but you can drive the acr as long as you want, the only draw back is everytime you want to drive, you have to disable the immobiliser which is a complete drag, I hate renault and will never touch it not even my grandchildren will go near it. The only solution is resync the plip which i am finding very difficult now. I have tried my fingers are covered in blisters. Please if youknow how to remove th immobliser permanently let me know or a better way of resyncing the plip key.

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Immobilisor deactivating

Regarding the Laguna1. You can permanently disable the immobilisor by having the ECU 'virginised'. Companies such as Blue Hawk Electronics can do this.

Basically out of the factory the ecu has 2 PIN codes inside it (an extra incase one becomes comprimised). The key plip and the decoder box will generate a pin if they are in synch, if this pin matches either one in the ECU then the ECU will let the fuel pump and ignition work - and your car starts. When you buy a genuine replacement ECU it has NO codes stored in it. It is said to be in a 'Virgin' state and will let the car start without need of the plip.

Your own existing ECU can be returned to a 'virgin' state by having it's PIN numbers wiped. This disables the immobilisor function and means no more visits to the *********** for this problem. Costs around £100 but this is a one off payment for this problem :d This applies to other renaults aswell.

This MAY AFFECT YOUR INSURANCE! I have fitted an aftermarket cat1 Toad alarm immob.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys, I bought my wife a Clio on a 2000 plate on the 4th August. Its the Clio when they put (so I have been told) the "new alarms" in the Clios...the ones with the two sensors in the window, the sensor in the roof was not there and a blanking plate was put in place.

Yesterday the car would not start, the red service light was flashing and would not stay on. after around 5 tries the central locking would not work and the alarm/immobiliser had stopped working. One of the key fobs has stopped working but luckily the other key you can unlock the car (only one door at a time as the c/l has stopped working) and the car starts.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts