Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
RENAULT CLIO DYNAMIQUE S 1.4 06 plate

Hi all I have the above problem, (described below)

looking for advice on my girlfriends car and have already replied to an older thread ( https://www.renaultforums.co.uk/17-electronics/468282-battery-flat-engine-making-buzzing-noise-when-car-not-running.html)

Started with surprise flat battery, battery replaced.. then noticed the buzzing or whining alongside a flattened, new battery and the same again the next day after an overnight trickle charge..

Tracked the whine to the throttle body and have now replaced..

Then I have gone through the relearn procedure as per Renault spec.. ( briefly ignition on, off, etc idle to bring coolant up to temp then drive) After a five minute drive and switching everything off and removing the key, the throttle unit tries to do something electronically, Im guessing trying to find its closed position. This is initiated by a click from the right hand side of the engine bay followed by a minute or so of clicking chattering and buzzing from the (new) throttle body itself. If left it will repeat this process intermittently for several hours until ultimately it will degrade into a constant "whine" and will drain the battery until it will not even operate the central locking.

The guy in the thread above, hasn't replied, but it went cold after he said he replaced the pedal as well, and he hints at his success.
My query is, would this do anything? I'm happy to replace the pedal, I know these throttle by wire system pedals can wear out but I'm baffled by why this is happening when the key is out of the ignition.. especially with a "new" body. I have ran it through an OBD reader and it isn't throwing up anything..

Sorry had to shorten your title to fit solved in..
Hope you understand
:wink2:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,741 Posts
Re: Throttle body buzzing/whining and draining battery RENAULT CLIO DYNAMIQUE S 06

Mark 3 clio,, Under bonnet fuse box ( not sure if it will cure your issue, but worth a try, )
One side has 4 relays in it, second one down, one being closest to the edge of the fuse box .
Change this with, ( If front fogs fitted , ) second one up the opposite side..
See if its just the relay thats playing silly..

Someone had the same type of issues not so long back , and it seems to have cured his
THESE relays are not meant to come out, be careful putting back in, just gentle
slow pressure (DONT " just " shove them in)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Throttle body buzzing/whining and draining battery RENAULT CLIO DYNAMIQUE S 06

Hi there. Thanks ours2012

I'm sorry, you will have to excuse my ignorance.
How will I test this relay?

·
39,741 Posts

Sorry not your fault, mine should have explained better.
And glad you did..
Yours is the top relay for after ignition ..

Use the middle one in that same column ( If fitted, Engine cooling fan) if not . then use the bottom one on the column of 4, this is Heated rear screen ..
Just for testing purposes, . as not sure if Heated screen is powered permanently
Though switched live through the relay with ignition on..

You could always leave the faulty relay out .
As its only going into the heated screen, until you get one

·
39,741 Posts

Relay 1 is heated rear screen, ( That will be fitted )

Relay 9 , would be the one to change with Relay 1..

Those are what I would change ..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Great, thankyou, I will give it a try.

·
39,741 Posts

Dont worry about posting twice,,
Someone will tidy the thread once title is changed to sorted/fixed :wink2:

Not saying who mind >:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So, Ive just tried that.. relay 9 was a t*** to get out as the battery compartment was in the way.. anyway.. didnt work. I tested to see if the heated mirror was working before the switch and it was.. so even with a working relay I still have the same fault.. constant high pitched buzz from throttle body and battery draining with the key out.

Thanks though, worth a shot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

rear screen not mirror.. long day*

·
39,741 Posts

Try this, remove each relay, 1 at a time, now see, refit and move to another one..
If you can get it down to just one relay being constantly powered, we might be able to help..
If after all relays are removed, and noise is still there, then its looking like the internals of the fusebox have cooked, and another fusebox is needed...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Long story short I think it is fixed.

Removal of Relay #2 (engine control relay) solved the symptomatic noise and activity on the throttle body when key removed.

Now the fiddly bits.
Last night I damaged the relay in slot #9 (ignition) when trying to remove it to diagnose. I replaced it with heated rear screen relay (#1)
So, today I have replaced the problem relay #2 (engine control) with relay #4 (fog lamps) I do not have a meter to test for a drain but there is no noise coming from the throttle body and the car is working fine albeit with no fog lamp.

I think I will purchase a new relay to put into slot #4 to bring the car back to safe and legal.

I will report back when I get back from work tonight as to the status.

Thanks a million ours2012

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Shame. no its not worked..
Still the same problem..
Tried all of the relays and that was the closest.
But back to the same problem

·
39,741 Posts

Its pointing to the UPC ( Under Bonnet Fusebox)

What happened, it stopped buzzing, you started the car, then after it was switched off, few minutes later ( As the battery started to drain ) The buzzing started..

The new fuse boxes range from £190-£220 on tbay.. ( These will come with the fog light shunt inside )
If you buy second hand, make sure the fuse box contains 9 relays ..
You cannot just put a relay in where the fog light relay should be ( No metal shunt inside the fuse box )..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its pointing to the UPC ( Under Bonnet Fusebox)

What happened, it stopped buzzing, you started the car, then after it was switched off, few minutes later ( As the battery started to drain ) The buzzing started..

The new fuse boxes range from £190-£220 on tbay.. ( These will come with the fog light shunt inside )
If you buy second hand, make sure the fuse box contains 9 relays ..
You cannot just put a relay in where the fog light relay should be ( No metal shunt inside the fuse box )..
Yes that's exactly what happened. Only it was around an hour before the buzzing started after driving.

·
39,741 Posts

Its when the battery gets to around 12.2 volts.
Then the chattering starts...

The good thing , these are plug and pray,, no coding needed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Ok

If you dont mind me asking, what makes you think its this fuse box. (I certainly dont mind replacing it, looks like an easy enough job) Just curious as to the reasoning.

Cheers

·
39,741 Posts

If you take the fuse box off the car..
Take pictures before removing all fuses and relays.
You will, if you look carefully see the fuse box will split in two..
Careful, as there is a metal shunt inside where your fog light relay fits, ( Not sure, thing another shunt inside there also )
You will now see a metal plate all around,.. THIS is the power supply part of the system.. You can now see how the relays fit in, and touch the metal prongs
You should now also see a small Printed Circuit Board, sandwiched in between the top and bottom. This PCB fails, the symptoms you posted are when it fails...
But you could also have had a sticking relay, not switching off..
As you have been able to prove it's not a relay issue, only really leaves the UPC..
Diagnostics will show this..
But some of the horror stories on here about the cost of diagnostics.
Weighing one against the other.. Donor/new fuse box is about the same.

Worst part is, sellers have now jumped on the bandwaggon, and are charging a lot more for these fuseboxes..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks..
Second hand fuse box ordered.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts