Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I`m a new member so please bear with me!! I have a 2004 Megane Dci 100BHP & after purchasing it used I noticed a "check injection" fault showing anytime I drove over 50-60mph. This persisted for a while however didn`t show on normal around town driving, so rather foolishly I ignored it.

However eventually this came back to haunt me when a few weeks ago while driving home the engine completely stopped & "injection fault" showed on dash. After this despite several attempts the car refused to start.

I then had the car towed to a mechanic who after inspection advised me to replace the 4 injectors as 3 of them had blew. I sourced a set of 4 used but sound injectors which were fitted successfully.

I then drove the car out of the mechanics about 1 mile down the road & then BANG, "injection fault" & complete engine stop again. Cue another tow & another set of injectors but still the same outcome.

I`ve asked my mechanic if it`s a fuel injector pump fault also along with the injectors blowing as I had read before on another forum that this could happen: ie the pump blows & sends metal fillaments through the injectors which leads to them blowing again.

I`m at the end of my tether with it to be honest & I`m looking advice from anyone out there who`s experienced the same. Can it be an injector pump fault as well as the injectors? Is there something else that I or my mechanic should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
It may well be a failed fuel pump is contaminating the injectors.
Check the fuel filter for signs of metal particles.
Once the pump seals fail then every aspect of the fuel system can become contaminated including the fuel tank.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you madnoel10 for the advice, I`ll get the mechanic to check that tomorrow as the car is still sitting at his garage. If it`s the fuel pump that is faulty then I guess that`s a replacement fuel pump? New injectors? I have a local firm who can recondition the injectors & maybe also the fuel pump. Would you recommend reconditioning or new? Is that all that would need replaced as I`m seriously worried about the current & future costs involved.

Thanks again for your advice

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Reconditioned pump and injectors should be fine but all fuel lines, tank, filter and fuel rail and fuel rail sensors may also need flushed. Removing the tank and having it professioanlly cleaned is the only certin way of ensuring the prblem won't re-occur. Anywhere contaminated fuel has reached will need scrupious cleaning.

Renault dealers charge in the region of £3000 plus whereas independent tend to be in the £1000 to £1500 bracket.

Before embarking on any further work be certain you find evidence of pump failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers madnoel10, I`ll get that checked by mechanic tomorrow & I`ll post any progress. Thanks again for your advice & hopefully I`ll get to the bottom of this & get my car back on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update on my current situation guys. My mechanic inspected the fuel filter & as madnoel10 had suggested, the fuel filter had metal filaments in it. I`ve now had the fuel pump,fuel rail & sensors & injectors removed. I`m going to get the pump & injectors reconditioned as well as the fuel rail & sensors cleaned by a local firm.
I`m hoping to also get the tank & rest of the fuel lines etc cleaned also by my mechanic. I`ll keep you posted on how it all works out. A special thanks must go to madnoel10 on his advice. Hopefully I`ve got to the bottom of this expensive problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.