Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I bought a 1.5 dci 2004 Scenic few days ago. Shortly after I found the following problem

A 'injection fault' message comes up on the dashboard every time I press hard on throttle on 4th and 5th gear. It's accompanied by STOP message and loud beep. It disappears after a second or two and doesn't appear in any other scenario. I don't feel any power drop, stall or anything like that. Everything's fine on first 3 gears even if throttle is pressed to the floor. It's also fine on 4th and 5th if I press gently

Any ideas? I'll be seeing my mechanic during next few days but for now it concerns me a lot as you can imagine... it's the first day I have this Scenic that I discovered this. I'm anxious that it may cost me a fortune to fix it - injection in diesel doesn't sound like a 'cheap-to-fix' issue

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi

To follow up, maybe it will be easier for you to advice something. I went to check the car with diagnostic tool and it revealed the following engine fault code
DF053 (dtc 0089). It appeared in 3 lines saying:

Rail pressure regulation function (44 at minimum limit)
Rail pressure regulation function (DA)
Rail pressure regulation function (45 at maximum limit)

I checked the codes in Megane Diesel Injection manual which offers diagnostic/fix steps, but since I don't know anything about cars, I have no idea what they mean. I'm just trying to figure out if this is going to be expensive fix. I still have a chance to return this car to a seller

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The DF503 code only shows there is an injection pressure fault - unfortunately it doesn't tell you if the pressure is too high or too low. And as you realise there can be numerous reasons for such.
In general low pressure causes poor acceleration but if too high a pressure is detected by the ECU it normally restricts the pressure to prevent damage to the injection system. In my experience when the latter occurs the STOP warning light illuminates.
As you say it could end up in expensive repairs and it may be prudent to examine the fuel filter for signs of metal filings - a sure sign of pump failure.
Also a look at live data fuel pressures at start-up may reveal more.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The DF503 code only shows there is an injection pressure fault - unfortunately it doesn't tell you if the pressure is too high or too low. And as you realise there can be numerous reasons for such.
In general low pressure causes poor acceleration but if too high a pressure is detected by the ECU it normally restricts the pressure to prevent damage to the injection system. In my experience when the latter occurs the STOP warning light illuminates.
As you say it could end up in expensive repairs and it may be prudent to examine the fuel filter for signs of metal filings - a sure sign of pump failure.
Also a look at live data fuel pressures at start-up may reveal more.:)
Thanks for your input.
I didn't feel any power drop or problems with acceleration. However, it's a new car for me so I have no idea how it actually should accelerate. My mechanic said after driving it however, that there's definitely not enough power on acceleration.
Here's the thing tho. The intercooler pipe on the car is wrecked at the moment and it's attached to the engine with a primitive use of a duct tape. I also have oil sprayed all over that area on the engine. I have a new pipe and it's going to be replaced next week. My mechanic says that oil spraying and power lacking is the result of that wrecked pipe and it should go back to normal after replacing it. The question now is, hence you mentioned power drops for injection fault message. Could the current state of that intercooler pipe and oil spraying be a cause (maybe not direct cause) for that DF053 fault code by any chance? Or are those so separate things that any connection between them is purely impossible?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Oops - your post doesn't paint a good picture I'm afraid. Sounds like it has either been neglected or had a rough life.
Oil spraying out and a duct tape repair is the signs of a poor repair and also replacing the pipe may only make things worse by hiding that it looks like the turbo oil seals are leaking, etc.
If you can hand the car back I would recommend you do so.
That along with injector fault codes is not a good sign - wlak away if you can is my advise.

In all honesty if I looked under the bonnet and seen makeshift repairs using duct-tape my opinion would be that the car is a dog and the person doing the repairs is incompetent.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't walk away unfortunately as this was private sale. And, I might add, probably last car purchase from a private person in my life. I had to make a decision in specific time-location-and-price combination circumstance and I rushed the process a bit. There's no point in pointing out to me how stupid that decision was.. I realize that now :)

I was informed about the intercooler pipe tho. I was explained by a mechanic that the replacement is a non-problematic thing so I went for it. The 'injection fault' message and the fault code occurred a day after I got the car. I'm just wandering if that's a pure coincidence as apparently intercooler pipe wouldn't have anything to do at all with any injection related failure. At least not in a direct physical way.

You say that replacing the pipe may cover seals leaking issue, if there's one. Well, if seals do leak, then sprayed oil will continue to appear afterwards anyway, won't it.

I'm quite prepared to be honest to deal with fixing that injection related fault after dealing with the pipe replacement. What I wondered earlier however was, if there was any chance that the pipe, from which that oil is supposed to be sprayed from (according to my mechanic) could be actually a cause for that fault code in any way eg. oil interacting somehow with some sensors or something. I know it may sound naive (and that naiveness would come from not knowing much about cars guts), but I actually have hopes (although they are little) that the fault code could go away after the pipe stops spraying oil. The bottom line is I'm basically trying to cool my nerves a bit by hoping to find some signs that the issue may not be so bad. After all, I have a baby due within next 48 hours and that's enough of a stress level raiser :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts