Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low milage (38K) Laguna 2.0 IDE that suffered from a slightly rough idle.
Running a few tank fulls with injector cleaner improved this to the point that it is hadly noticable.

I have a long drive coming up so my question is, is it good to put additive in on a run of this type (500 miles).
Do cleaners work best on this kind of run or short trips?
Will I see any adverse effects (reduced mpg, lower power etc) from the cleaner.
The sports tourer heavily loaded with roof box gives me about 35-40mpg on this type of run.

Thanks,

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
even though it says 'add contents to a full tank of fuel' on most injector cleaners, I normally add it to an almost empty tank so that the concentration is higher, and then take the car for an Italian tune-up.

Not sure if this is right or not but I've not had any problems with this method.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I would believe that it would be most beneficial on a longer run, so that everything gets fully warmed-up. Try to include some variation with your speed, so that the fuel pressures vary.

As TazzyK suggests, a good blast through the gears (when the engine has warmed, of course), will often clear a lot of crud from the engine & exhaust - make sure the fluid levels are up to the mark beforehand.

You should see an increase in fuel economy as well as better running - I haven't heard of any adverse reactions - perhaps someone may disagree?

Paul:)

J

·
0 Posts
I have a low milage (38K) Laguna 2.0 IDE that suffered from a slightly rough idle.
Running a few tank fulls with injector cleaner improved this to the point that it is hadly noticable.

I have a long drive coming up so my question is, is it good to put additive in on a run of this type (500 miles).
Do cleaners work best on this kind of run or short trips?
Will I see any adverse effects (reduced mpg, lower power etc) from the cleaner.
The sports tourer heavily loaded with roof box gives me about 35-40mpg on this type of run.

Thanks,

Ian
Just be very very carefull with this stuff...........

I had a 53 Bmw 320D sport that I put some diesel injector cleaner in a 1/2 tank.....

Ended up blocking one of the injectors & costing me a fortune.....

be carefull

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Injector Cleaner

I'd be careful using so-called injector cleaner - stick to the instructions as supplied by supplier. Many cleaners contain benzine and napthaline both of which are petroleum distillates. They are designed to soften carbon deposits but can also cause damage to plastic and rubber. By adding these chemicals you will increase the cetane aspect of diesel fuel which will allow the fuel to give out more energy and ever so slight performance. Personally I have found little or no difference when using this stuff either in petrol or diesel cars but I find using "City" diesel helps somewhat especially in low-mileage diesel cars that are used for short runs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts