Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, hope this is the right place for my question can anyone please advise how to get the injector plugs out of my 2007 kangoo van 1.5 dci having real problems getting them to move number 1 came out easy but 2-3-4 will not budge I have pored brake fluid round them but stuck solid any advise on how to get the to move?
I was told there may be a problem with the injectors and to take them out and have them tested easier said than done lol
to be honest I am a bit puzzled, let me tell you why I have had the van for some time now and its never mist a beat last week it was due a service 110,000 so me and my son did the service oil filter fuel filter air filter new oil 5-40 fully synthetic after service van was running fine as usual day after when for its mot test past with flying colors oh sorry needed a rear number plate bulb one was out the van then developed a taping then it would go away and go back to normal phew miles further on and it would start this loud taping I am no mechanic so didn't know what to do no lights came up on the dash until it decided to cut out then all the lights came up on the dash tried to start it up but just turning over would not start spoke to a mechanic told him the story the nose was like a tapping / chuffing like you get when there is a problem with am injector. if anyone could please advise on what the problem could be or how to get the rest of the injectors out I would be very grateful .
sorry for the long winded explanation but with all the garages shut with this bloody virus I am left to try and fix it my self and my son uses the van for travailing to work he is on the list as a key worker ?
many thanks kev
p.s hope every one is safe and sound in this current climate
if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it for me

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,019 Posts
Leave the injectors alone.
Check the timing.
Your description sounds a lot more like a timing belt fail then any injector issue.
I hope I am wrong but check please before we go any further.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update chaps cam belt shredded, what would me best move now ?dose that mean the engine is fubard ?
would I be better scrapping the van?
or get a second hand engine put in?
cheers kev

·
24,019 Posts
Shizen!

Van is out of action now and for the foreseeable future, cannot see any garage or mobile mech wanting to deal with this or even if they did, spares could be an issue.

Chances are that a couple of valves are bent and will need replacing, how many, if any and if any other damage will not be known unless you open the engine up and take a look.

How handy are you with spanners Kev?
We can talk you through the whole job and you got anything better to do for the next few weeks?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your help the problem I have is age and illness not able to crawl all over a can like I used to my son who could turn the spanners for me is in work most of the time either on shift or in bed after his shift so not looking very good I don't think anything els could go wrong over these last phew weeks but saying that things could be a lot worse with what is going on and I am shore there will be people around the country praying that they only had a snapped cam belt to worry about so I will shut up now and way go and way my options up cheers kev
p.s good luck to everyone and keep safe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just an update lads nothing to do with injectors the cam belt snapped (gutted) the annoying thing is I just had 2x new tyres fitted 2 weeks ago give it a full service i.e oil and all of the filters 2 days later it was out in for its mot and past no bother just 1 rear number plate bulb needed replacing it ran very well giving good mpg and for the last 2 years I have been driving it up and down the length and breadth of the country with not 1 bit of trouble so that is the situation at the moment van sat at the side of the house with 12 month mot new service in very good condition apart from the cam belt being snapped !

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,520 Posts
Not a lot you can do in the present climate..
Will say its not a hard job, JUST VERY time consuming

Would take me best part of a couple of weeks now.. ( Would not take this job on for a customer )
But only because I have enough sense to do a certain amount and give up for the day
Hardest part will be lifting head off for you/lad, as its heavy, and trying to get manifolds off in situ is a nightmare, these would need to stay on
AND it takes two to lift off, as bonnet is at the front .. AND even with bonnet off, you still cannot reach .. DAMHIK

But not able to move around will be your biggest issue....

Replacing the engine, major job on the side of a road, as gearbox, engine subframe, all need to be removed, plus two 3 ton trolley jacks at the least, along with tall Axle stands needed ..

Bummer,, feel for you

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,018 Posts
If you like the van and it's otherwise OK (and you can't afford a replacement!) you could take it on.. But is is a piglet of a job and the parts won't be this side of a few hundred if you need new valves. If you're not OK with complicated mechanical jobs think twice.
But if you go ahead, you've come to the right place for advice. I've done it twice as an amateur, which is why I'm so discouraging!
However, what else have you got to do for a couple of weeks? :oops:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advise lads but it would be to much for me to take on, it is a shame it only flew through mot 2 days before and it has never been made to graft i.e carried no weight and totally relievable with good mpg but I suppose these things happen, I think I may put it up for sale open to offers ? any ideas on what it is worth as it is ? making it worth while for someone to sort it out and get them selves a nice little van with a bit of spanering ?
cheers kev

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,520 Posts
Its a hard one to answer, because its basically only worth scrap value
I know its a terrible thing to say, .

But its going to be someone who is willing to take a punt..

This could be a £400 repair just for parts, as no one can say what will need replacing ..
Its a cam belt kit, antifreeze head set, bolts, oil,, filter plus whatever is needed for the head, or even another head ..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes I know but if its having to get scraped I would rather some one had a go on it and could end up with a nice little van rather than the scrap man making a lot more money with all the parts if you know what I mean

·
24,019 Posts
It's always one of those horrible decisions.
It's repairable but will take effort and possibly be a few hundred quid in parts.
As scrap its worth a hundred at most, quite possibly far less ATM.
Van of that age, with full MOT etc.... 500 to 700 quid.

As an exercise and cos you may have got lucky.... turn the crank away from TDC so you can rotate the cam.
You said you had one injector out so can probe down the hole to work out where the piston is.. if it is not at top or bottom, none of the others are.
Look at what the valves are doing, if they are following the cam and no hard spots, you may, just possibly have won the lottery.
If (big IF) you have, get a belt, don't bother with a full kit at the moment, we can talk you through re-timing and getting the new belt on... if it runs, great, now would be the time to sort out new pulleys and do the job properly.
If it doesn't, it has cost you some time and effort and about 30 quid for the belt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks very much for taking the time to help I will have a chat to my son see what he wants to do as he was using the van to commute to his job but I have used it for my courier work for last 2 years but thank you anyway got a feeling it will be going to the scrap man!
cheers kev

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,018 Posts
As an exercise and cos you may have got lucky.... turn the crank away from TDC so you can rotate the cam.
You said you had one injector out so can probe down the hole to work out where the piston is.. if it is not at top or bottom, none of the others are.
Look at what the valves are doing, if they are following the cam and no hard spots, you may, just possibly have won the lottery.
OP did say he'd turned the engine over on the starter after it cut out. Could have done for a valve or two?

·
24,019 Posts
OP did say he'd turned the engine over on the starter after it cut out. Could have done for a valve or two?
Yup
And AFAIK, most damage is often done because people turn the starter when the engine suddenly stops.
But someone wins the lottery so it is worth a check, that takes nothing but some effort.

I am one that got away with it... My Kia lost power in a big way under acceleration, auto box so no real drive on the engine from the wheels and I pushed it straight into neutral the moment my brain engaged... and didn't touch the starter.
Quick look under the bonnet and the fuel pump pulley was poking out of the side of the timing cover... the thing had exploded, centre ripped out.
I decided nothing to lose so tried a check on the cams and valves...which seemed okay so found a second hand pulley, threw a belt on (which is not the easiest with that engine and space to work.... I gotta admit I was surprised when it fired up and ran.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts