Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Just had a right nightmare of a job I never realised the injector was leaking so much until it wouldnt idle very well.
I managed to clean out all the tar and carbon (worst part of the job) and get the injector + washer out without too much trouble, cleaned up the injector seat so it was spotless and reffited injector with new washer/ copper seal, and it still leaks exhuast gases not vast amounts and it make a rather noticeable blow back noise too:(

Is there a particular method to refitting them or do i need to re-cut the injector seat, or is it a new injector?

Any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You may need to have the injector seat recut,a kit to do the job is around £60 but you have to be careful not to take too much metal away from the seat and also not to allow any filings to enter the cylinder.

You also need to make 100% sure that the securing bolt and it's thread are spotlessly clean so it actually tightens down properly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You may need to have the injector seat recut,a kit to do the job is around £60 but you have to be careful not to take too much metal away from the seat and also not to allow any filings to enter the cylinder.

You also need to make 100% sure that the securing bolt and it's thread are spotlessly clean so it actually tightens down properly.
I would definitely agree with that.

I thought I had torqued an injector down on mine but I hadnt and it leaked until proper cleaning of the bolt hole/thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys, I think i will have to spend a bit more time cleaning around the studs as there is still a bit of gunk around the bases of them.
I don't have a hex bit that i can fit on my torque wrench just hardened allen keys that i can get a spanner on. Do fasten them down hand tight and a bit more or just really tight?

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the replys, I think i will have to spend a bit more time cleaning around the studs as there is still a bit of gunk around the bases of them.
I don't have a hex bit that i can fit on my torque wrench just hardened allen keys that i can get a spanner on. Do fasten them down hand tight and a bit more or just really tight?

Thanks
Don't strip the thread whatever you do!

I found acetone (nail polish remover) the best at getting rid of the carbon.

Just make sure the thread is nice and clean, see that the bolt screws in as far as it can without the bracket, if that makes any sense!

I used a torque wrench once I had cleaned it out properly the second time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i have had no luck today every bit of the recess injector seat and where the clamp fastens has been cleaned spotless, and it still leaks.

Could it be leaking gases from the glow plug?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It's possible,but the injector seat is the favorite culprit.

I could possibly lend you a tool to have a go at cleaning/cutting the seat,where abouts are you in the country?.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

We had major problems with the Kia Sedona with injector leaks.

One tip a guy at work told me was to heat the seals to Cherry Red to soften the copper and them fit them. Once the seals are fitted the softened copper takes up any unevenness in the seat.

I think if you did this along with cleaning / re-setting the seats, this should give you a good seal.

I have not done this on the clio, but the theory is correct and can only help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guy for all the advice, I also still think the seals are the culprits.

Lagdti, thank you very much for the kind offer but unfortunately or fortunately whichever way you look at it I couldn't as I live in Cyprus at RAF Akrotiri.
I will try and find the tool locally hopefully from work somewhere, thank you.

Dave.y, I did try annealing the washers too but still no joy.

What does worry me is how wet with oilly stuff the injector was after i removed it after a test run to check for leaks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i had the injectors replace by the local Cypriot garage. The car sounds 100% better but the fault light for the injector system comes on now and the car looses power at low revs its as though something has just cut-out, it then sometimes just seems to fix itself.
There is still blow back to, I am taking it back in the morning to be checked out. Is there anything i can suggest to him as to where the problem is regarding the power cutting out?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well its took this long to get the car back from the Cypriot, unbelievable by UK standards but not here. The inlet manifold gasket was really screwed, bought one from the UK as Renault Cyprus want €110 for one . That still didn't fix it he said he had to replace some sensors on the fuel system and the fuel pump. He also needed to replace the valves somehow all 4 on 2 cylinders were bent???
The car now shows faulty EGR symptoms, but different to what i have been reading. It struggles along with low power but will cruise at 100kph, but when doing the school run or shopping sometimes at approx 50kph its like someone pressed a turbo boost button the car flys the EMS warning light comes on followed by service with service going after a few seconds.

When I cleaned the EGR valve there was some oil but how much is too much oil before i start thinking the turbo has gone?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts