Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know how to measure the lenth of an inner tie rod is it from thread end to thread end or the knuckle to track rod under thread

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,228 Posts
I think it is thread end to thread end but TBH, never thought on it.
Or possibly mounting face at knuckle end to thread end?

When I've replaced them I've simply got the one for the vehicle (either by make, year, engine etc or Reg Number), compared it to the old one when dismantled and assuming all being good, fitted it.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,039 Posts
a drawing would dimension it
  • for a threaded end to the end of the thread
  • for a jointed end to the centre of the joint
Cant think of any other way

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

When I've replaced them I've simply got the one for the vehicle (either by make, year, engine etc or Reg Number), compared it to the old one when dismantled and assuming all being good, fitted

When I've replaced them I've simply got the one for the vehicle (either by make, year, engine etc or Reg Number), compared it to the old one when dismantled and assuming all being good, fitted it.
I had to cut the old one off previous owner welded the tie rod to track rod end so I had to cut it off where the track rod end joins the tie rod eurocarparts said theirs 3 different lengths thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,228 Posts
had to cut the old one off previous owner welded the tie rod to track rod end so I had to cut it off where the track rod end joins the tie rod eurocarparts said theirs 3 different lengths thanks for your help
Ah, your query makes more sense now.
Dunno what to suggest except possibly compare track rod ends for each of the variants and see if that clarifies.
Or see if the parts supplier will measure a length of each that you can verify.... knuckle to start of thread for instance.
As long as you can get a reasonable amount of thread into the track rod end and have adjustment, it should be okay.
Or Renault, parts depts. should be open again.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,086 Posts
Are both sides welded on, or just the one you have removed..
If the other is not welded, would take this off, and use this..
Not only are the lengths different, the part that actually fastens on the steering racks are different ( Knuckles, some have spacers ( bit of plastic , ) ) and WONT tighten up correctly with out it

Though people have tried

1 - 6 of 6 Posts