Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without the manual, how can i go about finding a permanent live wire to install a GPS tracker, use a multi meter i guess?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,616 Posts
are we talking about the passenger compartment or the back of the van, as the engine bay would be far to easy answer

F2 (15A) looks like a permmanent live in the passenger compatment ( marked by a picture of a battery)

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are we talking about the passenger compartment or the back of the van, as the engine bay would be far to easy answer

F2 (15A) looks like a permmanent live in the passenger compatment ( marked by a picture of a battery)
Yes will be placing inside the cab of van.

·
8,616 Posts
if you have a multimeter that would help but I am fairly certain that Fuse 2 marked by a battery sign on your passenger fuse box is a permanent live as it has the alarm sensors and sounder coming off it, so needs to be permanently live

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you have a multimeter that would help but I am fairly certain that Fuse 2 marked by a battery sign on your passenger fuse box is a permanent live as it has the alarm sensors and sounder coming off it, so needs to be permanently live
Thanks, I will have a look and use a multi meter to be sure.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When connecting is it a case of tracing the cable back from the fuse to splice and join, just wondering when you have so many cables the best way to find the correct cable

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
Fuses 2 & 9 RHS Column, 2nd & Ninth down in Passenger fuse box. Unswitched +12v

Google or Ebay "Piggy back Fuse".

·
8,616 Posts
use one of these
Piggy Back Fuse, making sure you get the right sized ones for the fuses that are in the fusebox

·
8,616 Posts
I dont know - thats why I said for you to get the right one for your car, I am sure @Nottnoc will be able to tell you the size, but on that link I gave you, one of the pictures is the different sizes of fuses and what they look like, you are probably looking at standard mini fuses, but dont quote me on that

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont know - thats why I said for you to get the right one for your car, I am sure @Nottnoc will be able to tell you the size, but on that link I gave you, one of the pictures is the different sizes of fuses and what they look like, you are probably looking at standard mini fuses, but dont quote me on that
ATO/ATV looks like mine. Thanks, hopefully will fit in

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other question (sorry) If I wanted to connect to the central locking so that can be locked, (one output is for that) Would i trace the cable coming out of fuse box and join to it?

·
8,616 Posts
no because the fuse box only provides power to the circuits that need them, you need to locate the signal wire to open and close the central locking and splice into that

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no because the fuse box only provides power to the circuits that need them, you need to locate the signal wire to open and close the central locking and splice into that
OK thanks, i'll get some decent probes for multi meter so i can find them from the harness

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,685 Posts
OK thanks, i'll get some decent probes for multi meter so i can find them from the harness

Tape/clip your current probe to a sharp sewing needle. You can penetrate the insulation on the wires you’re testing with minimal damage, obviously be very careful not to short circuit anything.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tape/clip your current probe to a sharp sewing needle. You can penetrate the insulation on the wires you’re testing with minimal damage, obviously be very careful not to short circuit anything.
Nice idea thanks, will try search the web see if i can find a wiring diagram that may help a bit, but your suggestions looks great

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the device I am adding has a 15A inline fuse, is it ok to piggyback that onto the 15A main fuse in fuse box?

·
8,616 Posts
If the device I am adding has a 15A inline fuse, is it ok to piggyback that onto the 15A main fuse in fuse box?

yes, you will still have to put a 15A fuse in the piggy back for your new circuit, but all that means is that it will be doubly protected

1 - 18 of 18 Posts