Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago someone drove into the back of my lovely Convertible Renault Megane 1.6 Sport Alize and I've just found out its a complete write off :censored:

I've been looking in Autotrader and the going rate is about £4500 with average mileage (mine only had 35,000 miles) :(

Has anyone had any experiences with insurance payouts, what should I expect to recieve

Absolutely gutted :(

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Not sure what you will get, but if I were you don't accept the first offer from the insurance company....

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Insurers use Glasses guide to value a car. The guide will give the minimum and maximum prices. In my experience they always offer a low price first but seldom offer above the mid-price range. Try Parkers online guide and it will show the range of values. Better still go to a Renault showroom and if you speak nice to one if the sales people they may be willing to have a look in their guide book.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
When my 1997 Laguna was written off, I declined the 1st offer as I felt the car was sentimently worth a lot more to me and I'd rather repaired and kept it although that was not a feasible option.

I declined the 1st offer. The 2nd offer only came in at £50 better, and although I wasn't happy I accepted. This offer was better than trying to go for the 3rd offer in which case the car would need to be checked by an engineer and then the value would be decided (higher or even lower!!!).

Again, after 5 years of trouble free ownership, the car was worth alot more to me but the engineer wouldn't see past the physical car (which was immaculate for its age and mileage mind you), but alas I accepted the offer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
my sons 1998 s clio was written off last month, no one has been to look at it yet, got an offer for £1975, today, and we can keep the car. paid £1500 for it 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Well done Froggy - there's a lesson there for us all - I think. What we pay for a car isn't necessarily what it's worth.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An engineer looked at it on Monday and they offered me £3406 yesterday.

How the hell am I supposed to replace that car with £3406, suffice to say I refused the offer!

I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had my Scenic written off in Nov last year. My advice is to do your home work!!! look on Auto Trader etc but make sure you bargin hard. As insurance companys look on Auto Trader for a similar spec. I/e it might be cheep because it's a crap colour or lower spec, from a private seller or back street dealer! Ask for examples of cars they could find then pick holes in the one's they offer.
In my case I paid £5500.00 for my Scenic, Put 12,000 miles on it and got £5200,00 back, and it need a service, cambelt, 2x tyres and the MOT was due!!!! so I think I got back what I paid.
So keep haggling until your happy with the deal, they'll try to settle quickly so if you can take your time, bug them as much as possible, they'll soon get feed up and you'll get a better deal!!!
Good Luck
Ian

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Better insurance offer

Insurance assessors don't use Autotrader as it is not an accepted means of valuating a vehicle - they use Glasses guide. Go to Parkers site and you can find out the minimum and maximum value of the vehicle. Only if your car has substantially lower mileage than average are you likley to better their figures. Go to the link below and enter your vehicle details and let us know what figures you come up with. Good Luck:)
Parker's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts