Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

Is just in my wifes car or are all of these made of cheese....? Of the six in the car, only one of them works properly, two - kind of and the other three are totally dead. I guess that these are about a thousand pounds each from Renault too.......!!:steam:

IanM

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It may be simply dirty connections - it would be best to test them in turn to see if they are getting voltage or even a dirty contact somewhere - the lamps may be perfectly serviceable.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MadNoel,

Thanks for the advice but I have had all of the lights out, checked and changed bulbs where necessary, checked all connections but to no avail...... If you have ever had one of these switches to pieces, the switch assembly is a really naff 'roller' type make and break arrangement. Really flimsy plastic and pressed tin which simply isn't up to the job.....

IanM

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Are you getting current to the switches OK or is it the switches that are faulty - heave you or the previous owner loads of kids larking about in the car. Have you used a test lamp ot meter to check.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noel,

It's definately the switches that are faulty..... I've had a couple of them apart and the internals are pretty rodgered to be honest..... Any ideas where I can get some replacements on the cheap.....?!

Cheers,

IanM

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Ian - if the lamps are duuf the nyou have no option to replace - only available from dealers I suspect - but would be worth trying a scrappy. Also check the wattage of the bulbs - cos if someone has put in uprated bulbs it will cause the switchgear to overheat.:)

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I fixed all lamps mk3 2001 make. Depending the condition fixed came either one mode only or somewhat switchable.

All copper plates and brass ring (in switch) surfaces fiddled. I think main problem is tarnish in copper.

Three had their switch ring setting melted badly so these came one mode only with copper mounting conneting those lines under switch ring. This modification makes them light/work when doors are opened.

38mm / 1,5" bulbs fit best. Orginals are 7W, but I used 10W and 15W to get more light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts