Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my Renault Scenic (S) reg is having an intermittant starting problem, sometimes it will start and others it will just keep turning over like there is a lack of a spark? (but it is sparking ok)
The heaters dont work and i have removed the rheostat and found it burnt, will this cause any issue?

I tried turning it over today and the trip mileage off the dash reset to 000.00. i turned it off, removed the key, tried again and it started. What could be causing this issue??
At first i was worried about it being the immobiliser but with this new fault of wiping the trip mileage i am now unsure.

Thank you

Matty

·
Registered
97 Posts
my mum has a 2000 1.6 16v scenic we had the non starter but cranks. turned out to be the TDC sensor (top dead centre) or crankshaft position sensor. i took it out and just cleaned it. been fine for over 16months now.
not sure about the trip computer.
as for the rheostat is there any air coming from heaters at all. or is it just cold. something that could cause the rheostat to go would be a blocked filter- this puts extra strain on the blowers according to my tutor in college. gd luck tj

R

·
0 Posts
my mum has a 2000 1.6 16v scenic we had the non starter but cranks. turned out to be the TDC sensor (top dead centre) or crankshaft position sensor.
The twin cam 16 valve engines where fitted in the MK1 Phase 2 Scenic from 1999.

Being an S reg will make the car a MK1 Phase 1 Scenic with a single cam shaft 8 valve engine which I don't know anything about. Though if it does have a similar TDC sensor as the later Scenic's? would be worth cleaning as you suggest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The twin cam 16 valve engines where fitted in the MK1 Phase 2 Scenic from 1999.

Being an S reg will make the car a MK1 Phase 1 Scenic with a single cam shaft 8 valve engine which I don't know anything about. Though if it does have a similar TDC sensor as the later Scenic's? would be worth cleaning as you suggest.
Yes it is a 2.0L 8V.
Thank you for all your advise, where can i find the sensor?

Cheers
Matty

R

·
0 Posts
The TDC sensor is usually mounted on the top of the gear box housing just below the cylinder head but I dont know if thats the case with the F3R 2.0 engine ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts