Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grand espace IV 2005 2.2 diesel and have had 3 different electrical faults over the past two weeks.
1. The radio was dead for two days - remote wouldn't work, controls on steering stalk didn't work either. Checked fuses - no probs - next day radio works no problem and has continued to work with no problem since.
2. Lost power on a short journey (cold engine) wouldn't rev above 1000rpm, wouldn't get out of first gear - tried moving the auto gear stick to the manual position but still couldn't select any gear other than second (didn't try reverse). Cane straight home after 5 mins (10mph) had a cup of tea - tried again - problem gone and has been for over a week.
3. Today got in car, started no problem, reversed ot of drive and dash warning came on - remote card battery needs replacing. Didn't have spare battery so used spare key card instead and off I went. Then when I tried to lock the car it didn't seem to recognise the key card. Got a new battery and still the key card didn't work the central locking but would start the car. 15 mins of fuse checking and head scratching (a dangerous past time with my lack of hair) and the key card decides to work again.

Can anyone offer any suggestions other than gremlins under the bonnet?

I know electrical problems can be a nightmare to fix (wallet draining) especially when they disappear for no reason.

Is there any piece of wiring which may be getting intermittantly cooked/damaged/rubbed which would connect all 3 problems?

I would be very grateful for any ideas.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes pity on me, James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crazy electrical problems seem to have disappeared - just driven 1500 miles on holiday with the only problem being 2 litres of oil used which on closer inspection is a little worrying as the top engine cover seems to be coated in oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.