Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RX4 Petrol has a habit of dying occasionally on tick over.
Also starting 9 times out of 10 no problem but occasionally not firing at all.
Yesterday going round a roundabout in third starting to accelerate away on to the dual carriageway engine cuts momentarily then fires back up again giving quite a jolt as it was under 3/4 throttle at the time.

Any ideas guys greatly appreciated. Battery and all main leads have been checked and cleaned where attached to body and battery.
It does seem to me as a momentary electrical failure but nothing that I can put my finger on and say yes that's it.

Very embarrassing on Thursday coming home from Derriford Hospital, rush hour traffic nose to tail, car done less than 1/2 mile, still not properly warmed up, cut out in traffic when stopped and would not start again, took about 6 goes to restart it!!!

Any ideas on what to check would be appreciated.

New spark plugs, last May and serviced Oil and filters, fuel, air, passed emissions with no problem, used Petrol Clean 3 Extreme by Wynns on it last year and that did improve MPG on it.
Running on the dual carriageway and normal driving no problems and smooth no signs of missing at all. Very strange.
Nothing in the faults on a code reader.

:unsure: o_O

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
CPS?
Dephaser?

On a scanner you may not get any errors logged ............. but live data of all the injection computer parameters logged during such an episode could get you a clue

·
Premium Member
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CPS?
Dephaser?

On a scanner you may not get any errors logged ............. but live data of all the injection computer parameters logged during such an episode could get you a clue
The dephaser is knackered and noisy and is to be replaced but not yet done it due to my bowel blocking and spending 2 months in Derriford hospital after emergency surgery.
Dephaser is mechanical in operation and this seems like an electrical issue.

What is CPS? can't think what you mean.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Crankshaft position sensor.

Possible dephaser gets stuck in a funky position or as a result of wear, do something its not supposed to do at a critical point in time ................. mechanically will prevent proper breathing/compression ............... I have seen reports of people describing your situation sorted by dephaser replacement - have not experience the exact same personally though

·
Premium Member
14,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that, all I could think of was "Crown Prosecution Service" :LOL:

I think it is actually working but very noisy, when it starts it is quiet for a second or so till the oil pressure builds then it goes noisy.
I think I will check out all the electrics that I can though as it does seem like a momentary electrical failure though. Especially on tick over as it just seems to cut out and stop, sometimes it just dies a little then recovers.
It is just annoying not being able to say yes "That's it" after doing something.

:) :) :) :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts