Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

A few months ago I picked up my first car, a T Reg 1.4 Renault Clio Alize. On the whole it works brilliantly, but it has started to develop a problem.

When the car is locked the immobiliser light flashes slowly- that's fine. When I put the key in and turn it occasionally the light will flash fast and if I try and turn on the engine, it will sound like its starting to turn, but then never engages.

If I take the key out, wait a minute and then put it in, the immobiliser light goes off and it starts fine. Conversely if it starts fine, I turn it off and wait another minute, chances are the problem will return.

I've checked all the fuses and their contacts, cleaned the key battery terminals and replaced the battery, but no luck. Any ideas? I will take it down to the Renault garage next week but I'd like to know a thing or two before I walk in there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! Useful stuff in the FAQ for the future.

I think I've narrowed the problem (hopefully) down to the key. Every battery I buy works okay for about half an hour then the led on the key goes really weak and the key only works with the central locking intermittently. I'm going to trundle down to the garage at the weekend and see about paying for another. It may not be the answer, but as the car only came with the one key I think I should get a spare anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
imobiliser probs

sid, did you fix this? i have a similar problem with a kangoo van and renault are taking about a faulty receiver which is in the steering columb around the ignition switch. It apparantly "sees" the key and decides if it is the right one for the vehicle!
it can be either the ke or the sensor and only renault can test I have asked auto eklectricians but they say they can't help.
Alistair

Thanks for the welcome! Useful stuff in the FAQ for the future.

I think I've narrowed the problem (hopefully) down to the key. Every battery I buy works okay for about half an hour then the led on the key goes really weak and the key only works with the central locking intermittently. I'm going to trundle down to the garage at the weekend and see about paying for another. It may not be the answer, but as the car only came with the one key I think I should get a spare anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

The problem is getting slowly worse and corresponds with a weaker and weaker battery light on the key with the central locking barely responding. Battery has been replaced many times now, terminals cleaned etc.

I can consistently start the car now however by pressing down the lock button on the key when turning it in the barrel.

So I popped down to the Renault garage and they quoted me £100 for the key and code and £50 to program it. Expensive but I do need a spare regardless of whether it fixes the problem or not. So the key can take up to 10 days to come from France apparently, then I'll need to book it in for a servicing. I'll update again once I've got the new key to let you all know if it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
imobiliser probs

So I took my kango to City motors in Bristol the agents and told them push button key works except for de-activaring the imobiliser, the spare non electronic key works but sometimes the imobiliser does not turn off. turn this second key on and off and then mostly it works??
City Motors tell me they tested the ignition switch sensor by replacing but the same fault was there, so they put my one back. They now think it MIGHT be the key or the imobiliser modul they don't know, but, get this, if they order a key and it does not fix the problem that my tough luck and I must pay and if they replace the imobiliser [which they claim they cannot test] and burn in my code to it and that does not fix the problem also tough, I must pay for that as well!
when I suggested that asking a customer to pay for a not required part could neither be the correct way to fix it or correct under consumer law they said that I had to agree to pay or they would not work on the vehicle!
Is that not just great customer service?
Has anyone got the web address for Renault so I can contact them and see if this is Renault policy or the dealer taking a fat chance?
Alistair

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys today finally I got the new key programmed in which seems to have made all the problems go away. In addition to that on the old key I've scrubbed clean the battery terminals and it works better, but not perfect. All in all a result, if an expensive one.

They even washed the car, which I was going to do, but then tried to scam me into lots of extra servicing... which I'll leave for another thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts