Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 62 plate SL27 sport Trafic which has developed an intermittent juddering for around 5 minutes or so every few days. The symptoms seem to start with the braking feeling like the ABS has gone into overdrive and very juddery and driving normally the van vibrates. This lasts around 5-10 mins and then the van is back to normal for a day or so. There isn't a distinct loss of power during one of these episodes and i can generally maintain speed within reason. I did have issues with the regen last year as the turbo was leaking oil into the air intake and after a recon turbo was fitted i haven't recieved any of the dreaded 'check emissions' or 'check injection' warnings. I thought it was the van performing a regen but the brake juddering doesn't seem consistent with that. There are no fault lights on at all. Any ideas????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No-one? I had it yesterday and took the van out of gear and it was pulsing on free roll if that helps. Beginning to think it might be an ABS problem because it feels like very heavy over exaggerated abs breaking when i try to break. I did have an advisory on a steering rack ball joint at MOT but surely if that was the issue it would be constant not intermittent?

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Could be one of the wheel speed sensors is feeding back incorrect information and triggering the ABS.
Usual suspects are sensor, plug or wiring disturbed at a wheel off job. Sensor failing or the pick up ring on the hub is cracked or dirty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be one of the wheel speed sensors is feeding back incorrect information and triggering the ABS.
Usual suspects are sensor, plug or wiring disturbed at a wheel off job. Sensor failing or the pick up ring on the hub is cracked or dirty.
Thanks for the reply. Would these throw up a fault code or does it involve alot of manual checking? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No-one? I had it yesterday and took the van out of gear and it was pulsing on free roll if that helps. Beginning to think it might be an ABS problem because it feels like very heavy over exaggerated abs breaking when i try to break. I did have an advisory on a steering rack ball joint at MOT but surely if that was the issue it would be constant not intermittent?

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Would these throw up a fault code or does it involve alot of manual checking? Thanks.
If a reluctor ring is cracked the system could interpret that as incorrect wheel speed and activate the ABS. That would not necessarily put up a fault code because it's simply the ABS doing what it's supposed to do if one wheel is not slowing the same as the other. You could check the rings for cracks etc. They can be hard to see. Rust can get under them and expand. While you are there check the drive shaft fastener for tightness in the hub. A loose one can give that type of symptom.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
it could be a warped brake disk and a intermittently sticking caliper. had exactly those symptoms on my laguna.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts