Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2002 1.9d kangoo with a strange fault. More often than not the speedo will stop working while driving and the engine will appear to miss-fire. This can happen in all weather, and when the engine is hot or cold. When it stops working for long periods the engine drinks diesel for fun!! Then, it will start to work fine again, the doors will lock and the engine runs fine.

There is no abs fitted which illuminates the sensors, its got a brand new crank sensor fitted but the problem still persists and is getting worse.

Other problems (which im not botherd about fixing but may help with diagnostic's) is there is no permanet live at the radio, the wipers dont return to rest automatically and the central locking does not work.

The van has been on a computer and apparently no codes came up. I'm out of ideas now how to fix this hopefully somebody has an answer?? Many thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yes all fuses are good and ive cleaned all connections/terminals with electrical contact spray but no change. Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Toppin

I have the same problem, the speedo stops working then after a period of time the doors will lock and the speedo starts working again.

Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, no I have never got to the bottom of this, I evan took the van to Renault last Friday and they could not find the fault. There computer did not show any fault codes. They suggested from previous experience that I replace the crank sensor (again) and a new fuel pump quoted at £1200.00 by Renault!! Think i'm just going to run it now until it stops I'm sick of spending on it!! Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Took mine into an independent garage this morning, said the computer was a waste of time looking at anyway. He seems to think that it's the sensor, investigating into next wednesday.

Will let you know how I go on,

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a kangoo 65 2004, and i have the exact same problem, and like the rest of you at renault they dont have a clue.
I read in another forum a guy suggested to change the speedo sensor on the gearbox.

I will tell my mechanic on monday and see if that may be the sollution

·
Registered
14 Posts
We replaced the Speedo Sensor, and it hasn't failed since. Guy said it was about 1mm too short, and it was a bit worn. Was quite cheap, about £60 in all. Sensor is about £25.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes the speed sensor on the gearbox has been changed, the car now starts a lot better, but the problem with the spedometer dropping to zero, and the car then beginning to drive very badly still happens....

any suggestions anyone

the kangoo i have is a 2004 65D

·
Registered
14 Posts
have they installed it correctly? I know that it requires to be inserted correctly to a spec, as I was thinking of doing it myself. It does sound very much like the sensor, mine was doing the exact same think, chugging at low speeds, and it seemed to accelerate much quicker. Otherwise failing the sensor it could be the Engine management as that controls the diesel delivery and supplies the information to the Speedo. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar problem - I thinks with a 2004 1.9d Kangoo. The speedo stops working intermittently - then it start jerking as if there is diesel fuel starvation and I have to gear down to 2nd gear. Moving slowly but with quite high revs in second gear keeps the car moving more smoothly. After a while I notice the jerking stop and that the speedo is working again. Could it be that the vehicle computer is responding to a 0 km/h signal - and thus reducing fuel supply?
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar problem - I thinks with a 2004 1.9d Kangoo. The speedo stops working intermittently - then it start jerking as if there is diesel fuel starvation and I have to gear down to 2nd gear. Moving slowly but with quite high revs in second gear keeps the car moving more smoothly. After a while I notice the jerking stop and that the speedo is working again. Could it be that the vehicle computer is responding to a 0 km/h signal - and thus reducing fuel supply?
Thanks for any help.
Some months on from your post re: intermittent speedo and then jerking, I have the identical problem and am desperate to sort out. If Benzev sees this would love to know how you sorted yours.
Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts