Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there is a plugin available that will allow you to see what settings were on the camera when a photo was taken. I think there is something that allows you to see this information by right-clicking an image???

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Digital Cameras

Hi there are numerous bits of software that will let you see this info., but only if the camera has the capabilty of storing and recording this info., Check if your camera has this facility first. Did you get any editing software with the camera.:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep - it's got the full hit including RAW. I was more interested in looking at other people's photos to see how they'd set their shots up...

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Phots and Pics

Hi see what you're at - have had a word with me mate who's into photography and he says it's not worth the bother even trying.
1. You've no way of knowing if the camera and person who took the pics recorded this info., into the pic and also if they did they may have deleted this info., for copyright or privacy reasons.
2. Most digital pics have been through an editing process and therefore the original settings wouldn't reflect the quality of the pic you are viewing - apparently even the simple fact of uploading the pic into PC software can have an effect.
His advice is to use your own camera to take a range of pics such as portraits, landscapes, technical bits, etc. Take the same pic about 3-4 times with each shot at a different setting that way you get to know your own camera and your skills in its use. In the bad old days this was expensive but with digital photography its now more simple. He also stated good photography is a partnership between the camera and the user. Even the best cameras in the world are no substitute for skill.:)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Hi see what you're at - have had a word with me mate who's into photography and he says it's not worth the bother even trying.
1. You've no way of knowing if the camera and person who took the pics recorded this info., into the pic and also if they did they may have deleted this info., for copyright or privacy reasons.
2. Most digital pics have been through an editing process and therefore the original settings wouldn't reflect the quality of the pic you are viewing - apparently even the simple fact of uploading the pic into PC software can have an effect.
His advice is to use your own camera to take a range of pics such as portraits, landscapes, technical bits, etc. Take the same pic about 3-4 times with each shot at a different setting that way you get to know your own camera and your skills in its use. In the bad old days this was expensive but with digital photography its now more simple. He also stated good photography is a partnership between the camera and the user. Even the best cameras in the world are no substitute for skill.:)
Totally agree, a DSLR can take a perfectly exposed and focused shot but can not compose it. A bit like am F1 car without a driver. I learned on manual with a hand held light meter, at one stage I owned a Bronica 645 medium format. 12 shots per roll and on transparency no room for error. Every shot had to count in those days. I still use the same approach on the DSLR.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Taking good pics

I agree Chris - photography is more of an art than a science otherwise the David Baileys of this world wouldn't make a living. It's learning to see what the camera sees and composing your shot from there. My mate is a wedding photographer and his wife accompanies him on every shoot - recording every shot - time of day weather,etc -she has her own light meter. After the event they then sit down and analyse the pics. He's been at it 20 years plus and is still learning. Very few people can lift a camera and get perfect shots first time. I would suggest every budding photographer gets a simple book explaing the basics of photography. Understanding the principles goes a long way.:)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I hope I never reach the day when I have stopped learning. Sometimes I just see something and know it's right, othertimes it's not quite right and I have to revisit to get the shot. Yes I've shopped images, I did a job once and had a scratch on the entire film strip, I had to scan it and touch the images up otherwise no pay. I think the trick is to use it as little as possible, as a tool, the same as darkroom techniques. Or go to town and use it to create works of art. And thats the paradox of course. I am against photoshop to make a crap pic good but not to take an image and make it surreal and art in itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts