Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I need to drain some oil as there is well to much in my car. I have a manul but I need to know if i can just drian some off or should I change it all. last of all is it easy???

many thanks

Jason

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the oil doesn't need changing, then you could just drain some off, then check the level & top it up if necessary. If the oil is overfilled by a lot, then dont leave it too long before you remove some as it can do a lot of damage.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
How did it get over-filled or have you struck black gold. :) Unleas the oil was changed quite recently - 2-3000 miles ago I would change it if your going to the bother of draining some out. One thing to remember though - Renaults are notorious for leaky sump plugs so it is recommended to replace the washer or "O" ring depending on which type is fitted. Never seen a car suffer from too many oil changes.:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Some parts stores & motor factors sell a device which siphons off fluid through the dipstick aperture. This ensures you only draw off what you need to remove and saves having to replace sump washers. Saves a bit of mess too.

Just take your time and check it when the car is level, and the engine is cold.

Paul:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts