Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to try and save myself some money by servicing the car myself. Is it easy? I am a novice but can change spark plugs etc? The car is a 99 diesel laguna rt dti sport. It seems to be not as powerful these days. Like when i put my foot on the accellerator, it sems to take a few seconds for the revs to build up???

What would i need to buy for a service. Any help appreciated.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Service your diesel

Hi Tags - I suggest you give it a go - most diesels are easy to service but be prepared for the black oily stuff - diesel engine oil is realy black and stains your skin - buy a box of mechanics rubber gloves for around a fiver per 100.
What you'll need.
1. Fuel filter removal tool
2. Sump plug socket (square)
3. New sump plug washer (renaults are notorious for leaking at the sump plug)
4. 5 litres of good engine oil - I suggest you go for at least a semi-synthetic oil.
5. Oil Filter
6. Air filter.
7. Fuel filter
8 Pollen filter
Although you may have to buy a few tools you will still save money - if you have any doubts there are many people on here glad to help:)
I suggest you go to a good motor factors who will be able to supply all of the above as they are selling this stuff day-in and day-out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a great starter for 10. I think you got it all covered there. To avoid me asking a load of daft questions, should i buy a haynes manual to find things like the sump plug etc. And lastly, i once tried to do a service on a BMW Z3 a few years ago and i got a bit heavy handed with the sump plug and sheared it off. I later found that it unscrews in the opposite direction than you expect it to. Is it the same on the Lag?

Thanks for the help. Do you think servicing it will make it go a bit quick :)moonie: i sound like a right mong dont i!!)

Tags

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Tags - no the Laguna sump plug unscrews anti-clockwise (thats viewing it from straight on) same as every other nut:d It may not make your car go any quicker. It should be remembered a service is primarily preventative maintenance and no matter wht renault says 18000 miles between servicing is far too long:)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I'm with Noel on his parts list with the exception of item # 4 I'm pretty certain if the car you are working on, is the 2.2 RTDT the sump holds around 6.5 Ltrs of oil I'd check this out before you start draining.

Also with the sump plug washer, again Noel is correct, I found the washer with the rubber insert was never any problem, whereas the plain bog standard copper sump plug washer was always a problem.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts