Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just picked up a cheap cat D Megane 1.5 DCi. Sadly there is no handbooks or service history with it. The guy I bought it from said it has full service history according to his local dealer but they wouldn't supply him with a duplicate service book or give him any details of what had been done etc?:confused: So I had to price it as having no service history?

I've had a few Citroens and a Land Rover that didn't have service books before but a computer print out of the service record, which the local Dealer did . Does anyone know if Renault dealers do this? Or if not why they wont?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I was at the dealers some time ago when someone came in and asked for exactly this, the service desk guy did do it for him at a cost which I can't remember what the price was.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
They will usually charge but yes you can get service history from a main dealers. Mercedes charged £35 for a dulicate service book with all the stamps put in at the appropriate dates. It had "duplicate" stamped through the whole book in a dot matrix style to indicate it wasn't the original book.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All
Thanks for the replies. :)

Turned out to be a bit of a strange one this. A family friend was picking up a new Scenic from our local dealer (Toomeys Renault). He asked the service guys and they looked up the reg number and said there was no records coming up at all. They asked it was a local car (its not it originally came from Cheshire and then it was in Portsmouth) as if it wasn't they wouldn't have any details?:confused:

So I'm assuming he only checked their records? I thought these things were on a national dealer database?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi All
Thanks for the replies. :)

Turned out to be a bit of a strange one this. A family friend was picking up a new Scenic from our local dealer (Toomeys Renault). He asked the service guys and they looked up the reg number and said there was no records coming up at all. They asked it was a local car (its not it originally came from Cheshire and then it was in Portsmouth) as if it wasn't they wouldn't have any details?:confused:

So I'm assuming he only checked their records? I thought these things were on a national dealer database?
Any warranty work/repairs should be on record for all Renault dealers to access

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I know my local Vauxhall agent will not provide service history if the vehicle is a known write-off. I think they got involved in a legal dispute some years ago and have since shyed away from the practice. I think what happened was that some joker tried to switch reg details:)

·
I'm a drummer, I hit things!
732 Posts
My Lag came with a stamp in the book missing, I called the dealer, Ness Motors in Perth and they were able to confirm it had the service that was missing and without a prompt, invited me to go ine when I was passing to get the stamp and the book marked up to date. The only charge was for the diesel I used getting there and back! Most of the main dealers I've been in , regardless of make, have a database of all of the cars that have passed through the whole dealer network- it carries info re recalls etc.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know my local Vauxhall agent will not provide service history if the vehicle is a known write-off. I think they got involved in a legal dispute some years ago and have since shyed away from the practice. I think what happened was that some joker tried to switch reg details:)
It is a Cat D so maybe that's why then? Shame, it would have been nice to know its history etc. :( Does seem a bit weird to deny its history due to accident damage though?:confused:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I also think it depends on the source of the vehicle as well. I have seen some quick part changing episodes whilst wrote-off cars are lying around so in all honesty the dealer cannot truthfully be sure that what you have bought is exactly what they serviced:)

Plus many dealers don't want to get involved with the insurance aspect of things if they can avoid it. I know many people can repair cars to very high standards but the damage repairable side of the market has more than its fair share of dodgy dealers who blacken the name of those who do a good job. Sad to say:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
It is a Cat D so maybe that's why then? Shame, it would have been nice to know its history etc. :( Does seem a bit weird to deny its history due to accident damage though?:confused:
If you could not obtain the full service history of your car they should still be able to offer you info on any warranty work done in the past.

You could alwyas try another Renault dealer

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
My Lag came with a stamp in the book missing, I called the dealer, Ness Motors in Perth and they were able to confirm it had the service that was missing and without a prompt, invited me to go ine when I was passing to get the stamp and the book marked up to date. The only charge was for the diesel I used getting there and back! Most of the main dealers I've been in , regardless of make, have a database of all of the cars that have passed through the whole dealer network- it carries info re recalls etc.
I have found Ness Motors to be a very helpful dealership Iain in any of their 3 branches:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
There has been some discussion on this question before on the forum,including one ex-Main dealer service manager saying that it isn't always possible to do.

Can you find any evidence of a Renault dealer on the car at all?(name on a number plate,dealer sticker in the back window etc).If it was a lease car,then they keep a history of the vehicle too.

I wouldn't have thought that the fact the car was damaged would effect things,the dealer net work doesn't know the car was damaged so they won't remove the car from their records.Maybe the car was never serviced at a Renault dealer,I don't know.:eek:

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
When i got my lag i was told it had full history but the book had not been stamped. A quick call to the dealer confirmed this so i bought the car. I took them the book and they filled it in but said they couldn't give me a record of what they had actually done on each service as it was covered by the data protection act. they did say if i got the original owner to contact them then they could do it but i haven't bothered as i have the stamps in the book.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Good point Owen - I forgot about the data protection act. As the service history is actually a contract between the vehicle owner and the dealer certain aspects of the records will fall under such regulations.:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I tried to obtain some history and warranty information for my Megane 2 but my dealer refused to supply it. The only thing he did say is that the car had previously had "a lot" of warranty work done.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if anyone knows how I can get a print out I'd be glad to hear it. I'l try my local dealer again and offer to pay etc but I suspect they'll stick to teh DP act if they'er supposed to. God knows why though, its no different to having the service book?:confused:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Over here I asked the dealer in Cork for a printout for mine and they even posted it up to me in the midlands.

I got a history from date of sale to Oct 2004.

No charge.

·
Renault UK
206 Posts
Service History

Well if anyone knows how I can get a print out I'd be glad to hear it. I'l try my local dealer again and offer to pay etc but I suspect they'll stick to teh DP act if they'er supposed to. God knows why though, its no different to having the service book?:confused:
I'm not fully clear on the data protection issues so I won't comment on those. But in case it helps, I can confirm though that there is no central database for servicing work, so you would need to approach the dealer that had worked on the vehicle. They're not obliged to provide it though, the dealer may have a policy on this.

Kind regards
David
Renault UK

1 - 20 of 23 Posts