Independent Renault Forums banner

Is the Laguna II a good car?

• Yes, It's without question the best car I've ever owned!

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Its not without its niggles but all in all its a very good car.

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • Its pretty good. I've driven better but itis a pretty decent package.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • It's all right I suppose, not brilliant but not too bad either.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • It's not great. It does the job well enough but there are much better options out there.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Hate the thing! Would rather have a labotomy with a blunt instrument than own one of these again.

Votes: 6 10.9%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just sold my Laguna II Dynamique after just two months of owning it. The car was a good condition low miler with full history but I never had a week when I wasn't working on it. I defected from a Citroen C5 to Renault because, as reliable as the C5 was, it wasn't the most youthful or good looking of cars. The Lag was well specced and looked smashing and was in great nick.

I would be lying if I didn't say that I enjoy working on cars and it was rewarding to work on the Laguna but having worked on the C5 before (fitting some extras and doing servicing) I can categorically say that the Citroen is far better built.

What I found most disheartening about the Lag was the amount of wear on steering, suspension and braking components. It also had one or two electrical gremlins that I just couldn't fathom. Once I had sorted these, the car drove really well though I did find it thrashy at 70 mph - not at all like the Lag 1 Exec I once owned. I feel that the Lag 1, though nowhere near as interesting to look at was the better car...

So, rather than me gas on about my experiences, Have your say... What do you think about your Lag II? Clearly this is not scientific as there are many versions, different ages etc but as a straw poll, is it any good?:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I moved from whats possibly one of the most reliable manufactures(Honda) to what some people class as one of the worst, and apart from a couple of warranty repairs, I've had a faultless 3 years with the Laguna so far :)

Am impressed with the Laguna, is nice and comfortable, easy to drive and looks pretty good too. I'm looking to replace it sometime this year with a Scenic and will be sad to see it go (when I finally find a decent Scenic!).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm impressed with mine, had a C4 before but the engine knackered so i went for the laguna. Only thing i miss is the fuel economy but hey you can't have everything

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone seen Auto Express this week with pictures of the new model? Looks nice but I won't be buying one.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
and apart from a couple of warranty repairs, I've had a faultless 3 years with the Laguna so far :)
Same here - passenger side front window reg failed at 18mths,front driver side started to play up at 26mths - dealer replaced under warranty anyway as it was starting to fail.

Car has done just over 41000 miles and is now 36 mths and a week or two old.

1.9dci 120bhp is pretty good,quiet when cruising ( a bit noisy under acceleration, but can't be too fussy - it is a diesel) and we get approx 53mpg.
It does everything we want it to, has loads of toys.

Will I buy another one? Don't know is honest answer. Servicing is expensive but I have found an independant garage to help overcome that. The Laguna is starting to show its age now,(front end and dash look a bit dated) although ours is still in excellent condition inside and out, almost as new! ( the Laguna II models as a whole when compared to other models on the market look dated, PH II is a bit better).

The new model will be out of our price range for a few years. So if I cannot find anything else when we change in about 12mths time (ish) I may well get a Lag II Phase II.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
probably the best second hand motor I've owned. Not expensive to buy, not expensive to run mpg wise, not expensive to insure and they fall into a good license band.

I have not, touch wood(head), had any thing major go wrong, but if it does the Forum will no doubt proove invaluable!! as it did recently, thanks Lag!!:)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Have only had mine for about 3 weeks now, still waiting for the garage to call me to repair the drivers regularot and one tyre sensor is missing, again waiting for dfealer to locate and replace the missing one.

Other than that and one more thing I cant quite dewscribe ywet, I like it, its got nice power, 6th gear is dreamy to say the least, its extremely comfortable, very clean inside and out when washed (looks sparkly) and handles way better than I expected with 17" wheels on.

Think the brakes are a little weak compared to others I have had, and still a little worried about all the horror stories, but to date, great car, and town drive I get between 36 and 38mpg and motorway I get 48 up to 50mpg

Dunno if that is good, not as good as the S60 I had but acceptable against any petrol car (even the wifes 1.1 Corsa is heavier on the fuel.

Tax is £120 per year, so thats nice

Stereo is very lame, weak, no bass, and distorted at 18 on the vol scale, so thats anoying, and this bug with the stereo is anoying as well (turns itself off after 20 mins even when driving but wont turn off when key removed) cant fix it so will save and replace it.

Would I buy again, yes, I think I would, newer model possibly, lag II justbefore Lag III model, and higher spec one as well, but stick with 1.9

M

·
0 Posts
My Lag II initiale has done 129k but not without incident, repeated spurious faults (Injector Fault, ESP Fault, Pollution Control Fault) which I never found the cause of. It's a comfortable ride (on the flat) but is a bit thirsty (Averages 30 mpg) has lots of toys but is so difficult to work on in some areas. I have still to work out how to change a bulb on the driver's side and it took 2 hours to change a washer motor (the dealer gave up and passed my MOT despite the washer not working), parts are ridiculously expensive and I will definately NOT be driving a Renault when this one goes. Was a Ford man for over 30 years until my son persuaded my to buy a Scenic which I must admit did'nt cost a lot to run. I just wish the people who design these cars were made to work on them when things go wrong then maybe bits might be more accessible. Still what is the perfect car if we knew that life would be so much more easy ( maybe dull as well, all motorists are a bit masochistic and love to have the occasional grump :( )

·
Registered
1 Posts
the job im in i have found the Laguna II and scenic are the two most popular cars on the back of the truck and 80% of the time its all cause off the keyless entry system. The only other fault i found is more the scenic and that is with heavy rainfall water leaks in and shorts out the ecu leaving the car immobilized and unable to be secured as you cant lock doors.as no keys involved.

·
Premium Member
2,579 Posts
In Two Years –

New turbo & intercooler - £1650
New EGR valve £250
New front pads - £62 (used a ‘quick’ garage & saved a kings ransom on Renault prices)
8 tyres - £560
New rear axle bushes and shocks -£350
New cam belt - £450
New sump seal - £90, G*d knows why that leaked!
New wheel sensor, charged £80 for new sensor + programming, failed after 1 day, reset 3 times free since but not permanently cured the problem. ( I cured it the French way – stuck a piece of insulating tape over the warning light, given up hope Renault can fix the bl**dy thing).
Pair of hoses that perished £120
Replace snapped aircon pipe + recharge system £275
Small plastic shoe broken on the sunroof rendering it useless, quoted £450 for new sunroof assembly - told Renault to stick it when they said they couldn't obtain the part......
Plus all the servicing costs, parts etc, the list seems endless…….
In two years it's cost me more than the car did!

Can’t compare the Lag2 to the Lag1 we used to own, that one went on forever which prompted me to buy a better one – should’ve gone to Specsavers.

Or bought a petrol one!

So I don't think it's a particularly good car, certainly not as good as the Series1
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Second hand prices are really low as it has a bad reliability reputation but you can learn what to expect reading this forum and fix the simpler probs or know the workaround.

I think if you're lucky you'll have a clean run without undue major failure, but realistically speaking its too complicated/loaded a car for the money and they obviously scrimped too far on a few parts or were too experimental in other places. If you bought German for equivalent spec you'd pay £10 grand more. With the lag you just pay it in little surpises along the way instead ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Perhaps you should really asked does the advantages of a big, comfy, easy to drive, well equipped car outweigh the disadvantages of hefty repair bills for the inevitable failures at your none-to-cheap Renault dealer?
Mine include
both front window mechanisms
new key + programming
new intercooler
new TDS
rear bushes (under warranty, thank heavens!)
multitudes of EGR failures.
Uneven tyre wear on front axle and sooo easily de-tracked

Haven't got to the cambelt change costs yet. Dreading that operation!
I also hear that trade-in/second hand prices have hit an all time low; the word on the street is obviously not good. Don't see many laguna II facelifts where I live either.

Good luck to all!
Paul

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Perhaps you should really asked does the advantages of a big, comfy, easy to drive, well equipped car outweigh the disadvantages of hefty repair bills for the inevitable failures at your none-to-cheap Renault dealer?
That's the way I look at it, though as mine is on contract hire with full maintenance, it's a win-win situation as I see it. The car can throw as many faults at me as it likes - they're inconvenient, but they won't hurt me financially even once the warranty expires.

I should also add that the car's coming in fully maintaned at around 3/4 of the price of a Peugeot 407 SW that only costs 10% more on list. Lease companies aren't mugs, and if they think a car's likely to be a dog, they'll load the maintenance side of the contract accordingly. It seems that my lease company favours the maintenance costs of the Lag over the 407 - Either that or they're getting ludicrous discounts on list price on the Renaults.

So maybe Renault aren't lying when they claim they've got their quality issues sorted. And with the fully-loaded Initiale coming in at roughly the same price as a poverty spec 3 series, I know which I'd rather have.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
It is very difficult to go back to a lower spec car after having a high spec one It seems you get a lot in a Renault for a lot less money than other marques, How many of us would have thought of buying a Renault if it was not for the comfort & Toys, My Scenic IIs that I have had are one of the few cars that I can drive over long distances and still feel fresh at the end of a journey.

The reliability is a big worry though it not just niggles but some major problems that Renault have let run for to many years and unfortunately it will be of no comfort to owners of existing cars that there are improvements in the current build cars.

The dealer service network Leaves a lot to be desired, Tho I have seen an improvement in the 2 years or so that I have owned a Renault.

I would not buy a used Renault ( Or other Marque for that matter ) without a very comprehensive warranty as even what would seem quite miner repairs can be very expensive.

It is no comfort to an owner who is plagued with faults and huge bills if another says theirs has been trouble free .

It's a shame really for most Renault's are good looking well equipped, comfortable cars at an affordable price ( Big discounts ).

They Promise much in the new Laguna but they have said that with each newly introduced model over the last few years.

This is my opinion only and I'm sure there will be many who would agree and disagree alike.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, there we have it, most people think that its generally a good car but the posts in this thread have highlighted some key points that would be useful to new owners:
  • If buying a newer car, a warranty is imperative.
  • If you can afford it, budget for a complete AA inspection. Be prepared to walk away.
  • Read this forum carefully for niggles specific to your car, be especially thorough if buying a diesel variant.
  • Budget for extra expense. Rear bushes are typically £200+ with fitting, rear discs are £150 for the parts alone.
  • Be prepared to perform extra maintenance on your car such as greasing window mechanisms and clearing out drains etc.
  • Low mileage doesn't necessarily mean low niggles. Check electrical systems, especially Sat Nav and climate.
:rant:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts