Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 10 plate megane with keyless entry and go, looking around the forums I feel the question has to asked.......is the keycard really worth the hassle? is it a technological advance or just a gimick and whats wrong with a key?? :d:d:d

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
id say yes, but then, i dont see any hassle, it stays in my pocket, i never put it in the key reader, i dont have to unlock it, just touch the handle, and dont have to worry about locking it, and if im in a dark carpark, one press of a button, and my car lights up, where is the down side ?? :)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looking around the forum I see quite a few people have problems with it after few years.

I personally agree that at the moment, while it works I like it :d

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Touch wood, so far after two Reno's with key cards I havent had a problem with either, TBH I'd rather have a key than a card, but then I'd also rather like a car that the average home DIY mechanic can work on which instead of usually returning 46 MPG I'd probably be getting nearer 37-38.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
im more bothered by my auto wipers, they are crap, seem to have a mind of their own, id love to de-activate them and just have normal ones :mad:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I quite like my auto wipers and lights, shame they don't work in fog, mist, snow etc :crazy:

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
the auto lights are great, just the wipers :mad:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
My auto wipers and lights are excellent! Well, the lights sometimes don't react to dull days very well, but would be on when the sun is setting behind the car on a bright evening :confused:

As for the key card. Excellent idea. Although the Mégane one seems to be much better quality than the Laguna. Plus the early ones can't be attached to keys. I've had a few Lagunas and Vel Satis' and most lock buttons have been broken on them - the most common fault I think.

O

·
0 Posts
Mine works sometimes, sometimes not. Then not all the doors will respond, usually one won't. Nice gimmick, but I end up using the plip function anyway as i can't trust the handsfree to work all the time.

Once i forgot to put the key in the reader, left it in my pocket. Not a problem, but just say it was left in my wifes pocket/bag and dropped her off somewhere.
I drive away, all fine until I stop and realise I can't get it going again. :forehead:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
nice if there on a new car but think when it starts getting old you end up having probs as age sets in lol and it could just end up 1 more problem you could do without

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
It's worth it not to smash your knee to bits on the keys hanging out of the ignition barrel if you crash... But then, they could have just moved the ignition barrel; I never understood why it was in such a dangerous place on most cars anyway.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I prefer the bog standard key system as it is more reliable and in most cars can be easily programmed in without being ripped off by a dealer or such.

Personally I see little advantage in a hands free system - after all you still gotta grab the door handle to get in and out - then fasten your seat belt, etc.

Also see the link below - I don't know if such is possible with the Renault system.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...-systems-vulnerable-to-high-tech-car-thieves/

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Keycard every time. Just be aware of the possible microswitch repair needed and the guy on ebay that fixes them if you take them for a swim. What's not to like? Even a bog standard key these days costs £130 to reprogram.

:d

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have managed to remove the selective unlocking and now think it's great:d

Before it was more hassle than it was worth unless you were the only one getting in the car and you didn't have to fuel up or open the boot.:mad:

Now it works like it should, and until it breaks( hopefully being keyless there will be less chance of damaging the card) I am happy with it.:d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts