Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the wheels off our scenic this morning to examine the brake discs and were greeted with this sad an rusty sight. Obviously the discs and pads are going to be renewed, but does anybody think I may need new calipers, or if they will clean up sufficiently to be reused?
Just that once everything is off I am goosed if it goes wrong as I won't be able to get anywhere for spares!:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't try moving them. I am going to suggest not as I used the car last night around town, so was braking fairly regularly.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Check if the pads move when you press the brakes. If they don`t , somethings seized. Judging by the rust on your disc the pads don`t seem to be touching it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just been outside again, and although there is no visible movement from the caliper or the pad, however the disc goes from moving when the brake is not applied, to rock solid (well I can't turn it anyway!) when the brake is applied.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
If the pads are very worn only one side might be making contact (hence the rust) check the thickness of the disc it might not need replacing.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi NellieMcNell

Been having a look at your picture of the rear caliper,it is not operating correctly, i would suggest the sliding pins inside the rubber bellows have siezed.
To check they slide correctly you need to take the two halves apart and press the pins into the caliper,they should move in and out with a light push.

As i said my guess is you will find they are siezed.

Hope this helps.

:) :)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there, have you had a look at the other side of the disc yet, from the picture it looks as there is a bit of contact on the part of the disc nearest to the hub, as suggested it could be that the calipers are partially seized or the pads are shot.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Rusty Calipers

Hi Nellie - must be the worst set of brakes I've seen yet - sure you weren't driving on the beach. You'll not really know if the calipers are goosed until you get them off as you'll need to wind the pistons back in. That will be the big test. Looking at the pictures you supplied no way can the brakes be efficient - looks like your front ones are doing all the work. Remember if you put new discs and pads on and the calipers are duff you could end up having to do the job all over again. The g od saying still prevails "buy cheap and you'll end up paying twice" Also brakes are like your best friend "You miss them most when they're not around":)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The side pictured is the good side! The front discs are much better and more evenly worn. There are some serious pits that I think may have been caused by the corrosion on the rear discs. The inside of the front is a bit like the surface of the moon too, with some serious grooves worn into it as well.
We only bought the car last June with a full Renault service history and a 12 month warranty, is it warranty claimable?

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi again, I can't really see such an ammount of rust and corrosion appearing in twelve months unless as stated previously you've been driving along the beach, there is no way the car would pass MOT in this condition so I would have a word with the people who gave the warranty.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It looks like the pads are seized in the caliper carrier which is not uncommon.I suspect the calipers are ok,you just need to clean the rails on the carrier where the pads sit and make sure the new pads fit easily.Put a small amount of brake pad grease on the area too,this will stop it happening again.

Looking at the pictures,the discs wouldn't fail an MOT,and I doubt very much that the warranty will cover parts that are wear and tear items.:(.It's worth a try,though.:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Corroded discs

Hi Lag, I noticed in your last post you thought that by looking at the pics of the badly corroded discs it wouldn’t fail MOT. You said “Looking at the pictures, the discs wouldn't fail an MOT” (copied from your posting). Maybe you meant to say it wouldn’t pass MOT. The MOT UK site clearly states a drum or disc can be failed if “a brake disc or drum is insecure, cracked or excessively scored, pitted or worn” (copied from their site). Looking at the pics I feel it would be safe to say the disc in question is excessively scored and pitted.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The discs would not and should not fail an MOT.They are not excessively worn,pitted or scored.

I personally wouldn't choose to drive a car with discs on it like those in the pictures,but it doesn't make the car unsafe to drive.There are plenty of testers out there that would fail them,but you would be in trouble if someone appealed and went to VOSA.Obviously,if that brake wasn't working properly when tested on the rollers then that would fail,but there is no reason to fail a disc that is in that sort of condition.Of course,the tester should advise a disc in this condition,but that is all you could do.

An MOT is only a basic safety inspection!You would be surprised just how basic.......

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Rear discs

Hi Lag – I see where you’re coming from – from what you say if the brake passes its efficiency test the car gets its MOT. But on checking the VOSA standard it clearly states as a reason for rejection “a brake disc or drum insecure, cracked or excessively scored, pitted or worn.” In my opinion the disc shown in the picture clearly falls into this category. Now I know why people from Northern Ireland take their vehicles across the Irish Sea to have there cars MOT’d. Under no circumstances would brakes in this condition be accepted by vehicle testers in Northern Ireland – their guidelines are “if more than one third of the contact area” of the disc is rusted, corroded or pitted the vehicle will fail. I was informed of this by a neighbour who works as a vehicle examiner at one of the MOT centres. You say the test is quite basic – that scares me as it appears the test in the UK mainland is rudimentary. Now I know why people this side of the Irish Sea are reluctant to buy cars from the UK.

I also notice Coffeemad makes the comments about high performance discs with drilled holes – these discs are specially designed for the job and are made from entirely different materials therefore should not be confused with ordinary run-of-the-mill discs fitted to most cars.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The important word in the MOT guide is 'excessive'......i.e,is the car dangerous to drive in it's present condition.

The discs that are shown in the pictures do not make the vehicle dangerous to drive.Sure,the brake is not working at 100% efficiency,but then any brake rarely does.

Going back to the original point,I would take the car back and point out the condition of the rear discs,but I doubt very much that any warranty would cover and item that is classed as reasonable wear and tear.:(

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Lag as you say the wording in the MOT guide is "excessive" - so in reality it's back to what I said in an earlier post it down to the judgement of the examiner as it seems what is "excessive" is based on the personal judgement and experience of the examiner. I think this takes us back to what I said in an earlier post about the examiner having to make an opinion based on the rules. One thing I do know I wouldn't even consider buying a vehicle passed on the criteria you suggest. Regarding the poor guy who owns the car I would be jumping all over the guy who sold me the car as from what I can see of the damage just ain't fair wear and tear - it's just plain good old neglect. If the seller of the car sells them on like this he/she ain't likely to stay in business too long.:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts