Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I suppose the question has to be asked, but one of the answers in the article already gives the game away: A year's exposure to a wireless network is equivalent to spending 20 minutes on a mobile.

If they're worried about stuff like this, then maybe we should take the Dihydrogen Monoxide scare seriously after all :p

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the School aspect of it was of more serious concern. Also when you take into account most School kids now are stuck to their phones ...

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I thought the School aspect of it was of more serious concern. Also when you take into account most School kids now are stuck to their phones ...
I suppose if schools went nuts with wireless access points and laptops, then maybe this could be something beyond completely trivial. But a kid who uses their mobile for 10 minutes a day is already receiving over 100 times the annual radiation that a typical wireless network kicks out. And that'd be based on them being exposed to the wireless signal 24/7/365.

Wi-Fi is an order of magnitude less powerful, and you don't wander round with the transciever strapped to your ear, directing nearly 50% of its radiation directly at your brain. I can't help thinking this is a load of fuss over nothing. Still, they've had a pop at Bluetooth headsets as being risky (potentially more dangerous than using the phone normally if you don't remove the headset between calls.) I suppose Wi-Fi had to find itself in the firing line sooner or later.

Even without the use of radio, our environment has normal background levels of radiation. Of course it's valid to explore the effects of different kinds of radiation on the human body, and highlight any potential risks where levels may be worryingly high. But it seems that to a lot of people, the only acceptable level of radiation is 'none' (or at least none that can be avoided.) To me, that comes across as being just a tad paranoid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts