Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
I use Virgin Media ADSL service Hondo - do you currently use ADSL? How far away are you from your local BT exchange?

I'm paying £14.99 a month (in addition to £11 BT line rental). For that i get 'up to' 8 meg (usually about 4 IIRC) and free evening and weekend calls to all landlines.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep! I'm with Eclipse DSL 1 Meg through copper wire (BT) with no download restrictions at all, other than speed.

It's costing me £23.97 / month, I was amazed when I started looking around at other service providers prices.

I'm guessing here a bit.

:d Guess. :d I'm 1.5 miles from a BT exchange.

£15 quid a month for 8Meg Jeez!!! Is the line rental per month too?

Also are there any restrictions on downloads?
BTW is Virgin Media through copper wire or is it cable? You see, I don't want any digging out for cable.

I pay line rental too, but I dunno how much, or how often, not until I can find a :censored: bill.

I've taken a look in my :eek: filing system under B, for bills. BT, for BT. E, for Eclipse. and T, for telephones, the only place left now is either L, for lost, or M, for missing.

TBH I'm OK with 1 Meg down, but if I can get a reliable service that much cheaper, then I will.

Thanx SB :)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
It's costing me £23.97 / month, I was amazed when I started looking around at other service providers prices.

I'm guessing here a bit.

:d Guess. :d I'm 1.5 miles from a BT exchange.

£15 quid a month for 8Meg Jeez!!! Is the line rental per month too?

Also are there any restrictions on downloads?
BTW is Virgin Media through copper wire or is it cable?
You are a bit closer than i am to mine and as i say i generally get 3.7 meg. There is a fair use policy with the downloads but so long as you don't download too much between peak hours of 5pm and midnight, you'll be ok.

I'm downloading virtually 24/7 using u-torrent, but i usually throttle or pause during peak hours. This is the wording form the website "use the Broadband Service in any way which, in Virgin Media's opinion, is, or is likely to be, detrimental to the provision of the Broadband Service to any other Virgin Media customer. This includes, but is not limited to, running any application or program that places excessive bandwidth demands on the Broadband Service for continued periods; in these circumstances, we are entitled to reduce, suspend and/or disconnect the Service at our discretion. You will be notified in advance by email before we suspend or disconnect your service. In the unlikely event that we need to disconnect the Service, you will not be liable to pay any cancellation charges under clause H.3.2. You will be notified in advance by email. Further information related to complying with our Acceptable Use Policy can also be found in the FAQs on our website. Visit our FAQs at the following address: Package FAQs - Help me - Virgin Media. Virgin Media reserves the right to modify the FAQs at any time without prior notice and solely at our own discretion. Any changes will take effect when posted on the Site"

I've been informed by a VM employee that i can download as much as 2gig in a day before they would seriously consider any of the above.

Here is the website and its ADSL (so down the old BT line - non-cable) Non-cable

And i also pay £11 a month to BT for line rental ;)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dunno yet but I think :confused: this is sorted now, I go in touch with my current ISP who I don't really want to drop because they have, in fairness been very very, reliable over the last couple or so, of years. They are in a week or so time going to reduce what I pay by £5 / month, & increase the 1 Mb speed to 8Mb

I dunnu, but I don't think the telephone line speed, will accept the 8 Meg speed.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
In many respects, when it comes to ISP's, it's "better the devil you know." If you're happy with your provider and not particularly unhappy with their charges, then don't go shopping around to save a few bob.

I made this mistake to my cost and got saddled with TalkTalk. An 18 month contract, and now extreme difficulty in migrating because I've been Local Loop Unbundled. Though in fareness, I didn't move just because of price. At the time, I thought Demon had become worse than complacent - their attitude seemed to be "we're the first and the best, we don't have to be competitive." I was stick of reading all of the self-congratulatory claptrap in their newsletter, and 24.99 a month for 0.5mbit was pretty poor value for money even back then. At one point they were actually claiming that a Demon e-mail address somehow made you a cut above other Internet users. I thought they needed bringing down a peg or two and voted with my feet.

When it comes to Bittorrent (and other P2P) remember that a good citizen should do their level best to share back 100% of their download. If you actually attempt to do this then speeds over about 0.5mbit become meaningless because (unless it's changed) all of the BT domestic packages still have very low upload speeds, and these tend not to vary with increases in download speed.

Some of the unbundled services give very good upload speeds too, but I'd be very wary of going down the LLU route in future. It can be more trouble than it's worth.

And of course, for legal purposes, we're talking about using P2P technology to distribute public domain material without infringing anyone's intellectual property rights :p

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yep I am happy with the service the ISP provides, after suffering with my prior provider who had an on, off service status for gawd knows how many years I was glad to see the back of them when they started going belly-up.

On the other hand the provider I use currently will if you can be a$$ed to look on their web site, usually give a warning of any planned down time, even then the down time almost always takes place at some un-godly hour which "never" "touch wood" affects me. :)

They tell me, I'm not fixed by any contact, and can if I wish
move on anytime. Via email I asked for my M.A.C code, this was supplied during the following day, also I'm not being affected by LLU.

There might only be one problem that I'm aware of and thats either a 10 or maybe 12 Gb / month limit, on what I can download. I am currently clueless if this will affect me, but if it does, I shall move on.

It's very rare I use torrents, but have in the distant past used P2P, but not of course anything that would affect anyone's intellectual property. :rolleyes: :) :d

Edit it looks like the download limit is 30Gb / month during peak hours. & if all goes to plan the switch will be flicked sometime during Wed 13/6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts