Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well going to my sister there was a car in front turning right and i was not paying attention :crazy: looking at another car crash i did not have enough time to brake and stop so i had to take the car half on and half of the road to run past the other car and the verge was about 1 foot lower than the road at the other side of the slopping curb stone my sump has been unsettled it a little but thats all no cracks or broken torque screws round the seal but the oil is leaking from around the gasket seal,Oh and a small dent and scrap in as well

Yes a know ive been bad :( but i have learned a lesson:)

What should i do get a second hand sump from the breakers yard and a new gasket from Renault or should i just buy a new gasket and try a just reseal the old sump :confused: thanks.

Donald

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Glad you are Ok Donald and only thing hurt is your pride..

Is the sump easily removed with the engine in situ.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you are Ok Donald and only thing hurt is your pride..

Is the sump easily removed with the engine in situ.

Regards

Ottoman
Thanks Otto yes not a problem at all two axle stands on it and i will have it off in about 15 mins after i have drained the oil

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
only pride hurt Donald, thank goodness. I would probably go down the new gasket route, the trauma might have only just dislodged the sump.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only pride hurt Donald, thank goodness. I would probably go down the new gasket route, the trauma might have only just dislodged the sump.
That what iam thinking just a gasket the dunt is small but i will be able to get a sump no bother at all for F4R engine from the breakers but at what cost iam not sure £30????

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
close one there mate,glad your ok.is the sump made from ali or steel.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
maybe its just me, but I always try the cheapest first

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe its just me, but I always try the cheapest first
i would hate to put a new gasket on and refill with oil for it to start leaking out but iam thinking of going that route heres fingers XXXXXX

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
No luck Donald .... something is niggling me .... from memory does the F4R engine not suffer from the dreaded "porous sump" issue ? .... Renault speak for RUST .... if so I'd buy a new sump pan from the dealer ... best check it out very carefully .... esp when its warm ..... have a good scrape about at any crusty areas ... then see if it weeps .... dont want it to dump half-way to Dunfermline :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No luck Donald .... something is niggling me .... from memory does the F4R engine not suffer from the dreaded "porous sump" issue ? .... Renault speak for RUST .... if so I'd buy a new sump pan from the dealer ... best check it out very carefully .... esp when its warm ..... have a good scrape about at any crusty areas ... then see if it weeps .... dont want it to dump half-way to Dunfermline :)
Cheers i think i will get one from my local breakers yard there is one there the same year ,cc and colour with my name on it:) but i hope the engine is still there finger XXX i will have to go to renault for the gasket:steam: which is going against my grain cheers

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Donald, sorry to read what's happened (I'm sure we've all been there, just bad luck).

If you can post a pic of the dent & scrape, I can give a bit of advice on how to repair/minimise it (I'm in Dundee all day tomorrow, restoring an Audi A4), so won't be able to reply straight away. But at least you won't have to worry about it going rusty - I presume its the bumper?

Plastic can normally be re-shaped with the careful application of a heat gun (or similar).

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hi Donald, sorry to read what's happened (I'm sure we've all been there, just bad luck).

If you can post a pic of the dent & scrape, I can give a bit of advice on how to repair/minimise it (I'm in Dundee all day tomorrow, restoring an Audi A4), so won't be able to reply straight away. But at least you won't have to worry about it going rusty - I presume its the bumper?

Plastic can normally be re-shaped with the careful application of a heat gun (or similar).

Hi Paul iam just going to go ahead and get this one from the breakers if it matches, beleive it or not it only pushed the bumper up and then it bouncied back into place but it did rip the lower trim off but i got that rivited back on and a rub or trim cleaner and it was fine:) Happy Days i would love to just change the gasket but that dunt would niggle at me so i will do it in the morning cheers all the best Donald

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
i would love to just change the gasket but that dunt would niggle at me so i will do it in the morning cheers all the best Donald
Sounds like the best idea for peace of mind - you can always clean up the old one and stick it on ebay to recoup some of the cost of buying a new one;) .

Glad the cosmetic work turned out fine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts