Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To add to my list of woes on my car, it has now developed a severe judder when pulling away most times.

While trying to trace an ongoing grumbling, vibrating growl I took it to the garage that did my timing belt.

They jerked the clutch in and out a few times whilst holding the HB on and announced a worn engine mount. Could be the bottom mount or the top gearbox mount. The bottom one is easier so he suggested I did that one first.

I couldn't get one today, but looking at the car tonight I took the undertray off and the mount looks fine. :confused:

I got my son to rev the car and dip the clutch a few times. The bottom mount didn't move much, but the whole engine did seem to move a fair bit when looking at it stood in front the car.

I noticed the top left mount, when looking at the engine from the front, moved a lot. It appeared to have a warped, stretched metal shell, but looking at images on the web
http://www.bildelsbasen.se/?link=item&post_id=20503226
it appears to look like that anyway.:confused:

Could anyone confirm if this mount is designed to allow a lot of forward and backward movement?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or could any other Scenic owners tell me if this mount on their car seems to move a lot?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I have got a 1.6 petrol scenic 2 so I guess the engine mountings are the same. Mine does seem to have lot of movement at the top of the engine at that top mounting. It does not look damaged, as far as I can see the rubber looks intact all round. Maybe this is normal. I do have a bit of clutch judder but only when I pull away for the first time after standing overnight or so and then not always. Mine has done 55000 miles, 20000 of which I did in the year that I have had it. The situation does not appear to have deteriorated in that time also.
If you watch your gear lever whilst in 4th or 5th gear does it move back and forth as you accelerate or de celerate? mine does (My Wife's 2001 Megane does also but much more violently)
It really is difficult to decide whether you have a problem with a Renault, or if it is a common characterisic don't you think?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi paynejef
No big movement of the stick, just a little bit, but noticeable.
The older Scenics show up worse as they have a rod linkage to the gearbox, not cables like the scenic II.

As far as Renaults go, I think I have had it up to here with so called charcteristics. Just another word for shoddy design and build quality in my view.:mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah. If a car could shrug eh?

I had a look at your photograph by the way - I think that must be the bottom mounting, leastways my top mounting does not look like that at all.
I do mean a small movement on the gear stick, about an inch - noticeable to me though, as my previous Zafira (old shape) did not do this at all. (would have another Zafira - good car but not that comfy on long journey)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
if gear stick is rocking back & forth when accelarating and slowing down then you have a worn gearbox stabiliser mount !!
i had mine repalced last week, £72 inc labour !!

it also "cured" a clunky gearchange !!
this was a by product of the worn mounting allowing the gearbox/engine to judder too much !!

better £72 than a repair bill if the engine/gearbox shook itself apart !!!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah. If a car could shrug eh?

I had a look at your photograph by the way - I think that must be the bottom mounting, leastways my top mounting does not look like that at all.
I do mean a small movement on the gear stick, about an inch - noticeable to me though, as my previous Zafira (old shape) did not do this at all. (would have another Zafira - good car but not that comfy on long journey)
The photo is off a website, but shows the bit I'm talking about. It is on the very top left of the engine, looking at it. The bottom stabiliser is different, quite flat.

I have nowhere near an inch of movement on the stick, so another reason for me not suspecting the bottom stabiliser.

I like the old Zafira, had one on holiday for a couple of weeks, nice drive, but secondhand they still seem to be more expensive than a Scenic.:think:

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if gear stick is rocking back & forth when accelarating and slowing down then you have a worn gearbox stabiliser mount !!
i had mine repalced last week, £72 inc labour !!

it also "cured" a clunky gearchange !!
this was a by product of the worn mounting allowing the gearbox/engine to judder too much !!

better £72 than a repair bill if the engine/gearbox shook itself apart !!!
cheers ascot, but it's not moving like that. I know what you mean as having owned a MkI phase2 Scenic before this one, I had it.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I went and bought a new bottom mount and put on, in the rain, just now.

Can't say I've noticed any difference.

The old mount had a couple of small splits in it so I suppose it could have done with replacing, but I can't help thinking I've just wasted my time and money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dont forget to check the good old faithfull map sensor vaccum pipe on these scenics !!! it solved my problem of juddering in low gears !! only £12 to replace ....
they usually perish and split

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, that would be a nice simple fix, but the MkII doesn't have any tubing, the sensor plugs into the inlet manifold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts