Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi well my back box decided to drop off today:steam: well i cant complain its now 5 years old:) The tip of sorts i have is my espace 2.0 16v 2002 is when the car comes off the production line the exhaust is in 2 pieces.

1). front pipe with cat fitted all in one.

2).middle box and middle pipe then the bock box all in one.

but if your back box drops off like mine the new back box that you will receive slips over the exciting middle pipe and clamps on to thew middle pipe to then make you exhaust a 3 piece which you know will be alot cheaper than having to buy more than you need.

My Bosel back box cost me £41 and that was with new rubbers and u brackets and a tube of paste:) i will fit it tomorrow just in time for the meet on Sunday i hope this helps some one and note to panic thinking this is wrong when its not cheers

Donald the WONDER:rofl: :d :rofl:

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
another little tip re exhausts

if your in the manchester area and need a new exhaust for any car and are happy to diy it on goto the exhaust dealers behind asda in leigh (its in one of the small industrial units) they suply kwik fit ats etc and will sell you at the wholesale price which is considerably cheaper than any of those listed above as you dont have the mark up and "fitting "costs once saved nearly £80 on a down pipe by going there

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
nice one to know Donald.:beer:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well the new back box exhaust is on and all sealed, so iam well pleased.When you have to cut the middle pipe it is already merked with little dimples round it so you cant go wrong i cut it with my angle grinder but a hacksaw will do a little exhaust paste round both pipes push them together and put the exhaust into position the seal the two joints with a u clamp and Bod is your uncle i also replaced the two rubbers that holds the back box in place but if they are in good condition you could use them again but safer than to be sorry cheers all the best

·
Registered
14 Posts
On the earlier Espace like mine, the exhaust is in 4 pieces but without a cat (thank god).
The from manifold pipe is naturally the most expensive at around £70, with the back box being cheapest at around £30 or less.
If you shop around, you can get a full system for just over £200. :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On the earlier Espace like mine, the exhaust is in 4 pieces but without a cat (thank god).
The from manifold pipe is naturally the most expensive at around £70, with the back box being cheapest at around £30 or less.
If you shop around, you can get a full system for just over £200. :)
Hi thats super news:) i do not know about the deisel espaces but the 2.0 16v 2002 is in two and then it changes after its first repair to three

·
Registered
29 Posts
Last year the exhaust on my 2002 Grand Espace III 2.2DCi was found to be rusted through just before the wheel arch, this I had welded for the MOT.
This year the exhaust has gone in two places rendering a new system to be fitted. with the added problem of the existing joint from the Cat to the first silencer was broken.
After trying several main motor factors and exhaust companies none could guarantee that their systems would fit the Grand Espace and that it would be a main dealer part only.
I next looked at various options and came across a company in Walsall "MIJ Performance" who quoted to fit a new system from the Cat to tail in Stainless Steel with a lifetime warranty for about the same money as the Renault dealers. I did get a little extravagant and have a twin system fitted to try and balance the rear end of the car aesthetically.

Cheers Sparky

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last year the exhaust on my 2002 Grand Espace III 2.2DCi was found to be rusted through just before the wheel arch, this I had welded for the MOT.
This year the exhaust has gone in two places rendering a new system to be fitted. with the added problem of the existing joint from the Cat to the first silencer was broken.
After trying several main motor factors and exhaust companies none could guarantee that their systems would fit the Grand Espace and that it would be a main dealer part only.
I next looked at various options and came across a company in Walsall "MIJ Performance" who quoted to fit a new system from the Cat to tail in Stainless Steel with a lifetime warranty for about the same money as the Renault dealers. I did get a little extravagant and have a twin system fitted to try and balance the rear end of the car aesthetically.

Cheers Sparky

Hi sparky looking good i must admit iam jealous;) since my exhaust went last year i have fitted a stainless steel back box as the middle silencer went shortly after the rear last year so i replaced the middle silencer from the cat to the back box and i then fitted the stainless steel back box to tidy the back up,here is a pic i hope you like,iam a bit confused your local motor factors could not supply you a normal system but then again mines is a 2.0 16v but hay the one you have looks better;)well done all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet they said the grand needs special parts etc!

Looks good sparks and Donald!!!
:) Cheers tig i have to agree its probely because of it being the grand or the 2.2 deisel:confused: but then again most if not all would supply i must ask when iam up at my motor factors because when i ordered mine i can remember looking through there exhaust books when i was up and the grand was listed,cheers Donald

·
Registered
29 Posts
There you go sparky

Thanks Donald, The Bigger Picture

The stainless Cats at the Exhaust centre were approximately £ 180.00 Food for thought when the Cat eventually goes.

Cheers Sparks

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
£180 not bad at all for s/steel one.

I got seriously ripped off a while back at Kwik Fit and paid almost as much for a standard mild steel CAT for my Megane :steam:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Donald, The Bigger Picture

The stainless Cats at the Exhaust centre were approximately £ 180.00 Food for thought when the Cat eventually goes.

Cheers Sparks
Hi have to agree its not a bad price, my cat seems to be in very good condition still for a 2002 so long may it stay that way:d ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts