Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought these Renault Steppe 17" Alloys - will they fit my Megane Sports Tourer?

Hi all,

As above really...these alloys were previously on a Renault Scenic and are the right stud diameter for my Sports Tourer - but I've read on here somewhere that the offsets can be different.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130489772602&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As far as I was concerned these would fit, but not so sure now - can anybody advise?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Just bought these Renault Steppe 17" Alloys - will they fit my Megane Sports Tour

Oh well, I guess it's too late now anyway - I've already won the auction...

Andy

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Just bought these Renault Steppe 17" Alloys - will they fit my Megane Sports Tour

There is potentially a small difference on the offset, but without knowing exactly what the offset is you wont know until you try them :eek:

http://www.alloywheels.com/fitment.asp?Make=Renault

When you fit them rotate the wheels by hand at full lock in both directions, and check the clearances when the wheels are on the ground

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Cheers for the advice :)

That website is very useful, I'm guessing the offset is measured in mm? Even 10mm difference could cause the wheels to rub I suppose, so I'll make sure I do those checks.

Thanks again,
Andy :)

P

·
0 Posts

Here you go :)

Out of curiousity, what size tyres does your car have as standard?

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Cheers!

My car has the standard Megane 16" alloys (see pic of my car attached)

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts

But what size are the tyres :)

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Oh, sorry they're 205/55V16

P

·
0 Posts

Then the tyre diameter is going to be about an inch larger which will throw your speedo out.

You will probably need to go for a lower profile tyre to correct this. A 205/50/17 will probably do the trick :)

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

There are some online calculators that work out the speed difference for you....can't find one at the moment tho :eek:

·
Premium Member
390 Posts

I wonder if they would fit my Grand Scenic. ;)

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ok thanks for that - I did wonder if it would make a difference! :D

I'll see if I can find a calculator.

Thnks for all your advice...

Andy: these wheels actually came off a Grand Scenic, so I'm sure they would fit!
Unfortunately I have been looking for some of these for aaages so I'm not going to be getting rid of them anytime soon :D

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

just found a calculator,

http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp

it says that when my speedo says I'm doing 70mph, my actual speed with the new alloys will be 72.81mph with the current tyres.

if i changed to 205/50/17 as you suggested Pat, the actual speed will be 70.55mph so spot on!

Cheers :d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

Your cheapest solution would probably be to drive 2mph less than the posted speed limit.

Paul

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That's what I'm planning on doing, but two of the current tyres will need replacing soon so now I know which tyres to fit :d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

I'm more of a penny-pincher - I'd have put the most worn ones on the rear and get most mileage before changing them all as a set...:d

P

·
0 Posts

Personally I’d be a bit reluctant to drive around on nearly worn out tyres that I didn’t know the history of :)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

Personally I’d be a bit reluctant to drive around on nearly worn out tyres that I didn’t know the history of :)
Horses for courses Pat, although I'm no plodder, my days of setting 'hot laps' at the Nurburgring are long since past.

I've bought part-worns for years and never yet had a problem.

And yes, before then (when they were still more readily available), I would buy remoulds/retreads, again - with no problem.

Way I see it, if you buy a 2nd-hand car, you don't renew all the tyres as a matter of course (you will if needed, naturally), but a visual inspection should suffice.

The eyes are the window to the soul, and its just as true for tyres & wheels - they will speak volumes about how they have been treated (well, or otherwise).

Just my 2p's worth - not trying to convert people's POV.:d

Paul

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'll be doing that, putting the most worn ones on the rear then hopefully they'll last longer...

I'm not too much of a penny pincher but I simply cannot afford anything else for a while now as I've spent over £1000 on repairing this car - I've only had it since 5th Feb!!

When I do replace the tyres I'll probably just get them all done at once, in the sizes that Pat kindly pointed out.

If the tyres don't seem up to scratch when I've seen them in the flesh, I'll be visiting the Bank of Dad for an interest free loan....again....

Andy :d

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts

That's just how I'd do it.

Hopefully no more spending for a while.

Paul

P

·
0 Posts

Just remember that the inch increase in diameter combined with that possible offset change may cause you clearance issues on steer and bump.

If you have plenty of clearance when the car is on the ground at full lock, you should be OK, and the speed differential isn't really worth worrying about as your speedo probably runs a little fast anyway. You can check that with a GPS if you have access to one :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts