Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just brought a 2004 scenic 1.6 3 days ago Dooh!

Serious Problem

Had the car valeted today they steam cleaned the interior and washed the outside (not touching the engine compartment). when i went to pick the car up the valeting company had flattened the battery we jumped the car off another car and now it won't idle it starts and then the revs drop to low and it cuts out. i took the car on a 3 mile trip down the bypass to warm it up and it ran perfectly as long as i kept the revs up. now its showing an emission error on the clocks and still won't idle, any ideas ?

Concern

Car pulls to the right under acceleration, it's ok when cruising but soon as i touch the throttle off it goes into the fast lane. feels very vague at speed too

History

The car had an M.O.T before i handed over the cash and the one thing it failed on was a n/s lower arm/balljoint. This was replaced but due to me being keen on getting the car and the M.O.T station not having an upto date tracking setup i had to take the car to have the tracking setup myself. i did this today (4 wheel alignment) and found the tracking to be well out. it as now been correctly adjusted the the geometry shows no other reason for the car not driving straight

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If it's a 2004 car then it might still be under warranty with Renault......

If not,did you buy the car privately or from a dealership?.

Welcome to the forum,by the way.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's a 2004 car then it might still be under warranty with Renault......

If not,did you buy the car privately or from a dealership?.

Welcome to the forum,by the way.:)
just had it's first M.O.T so i guess the warranty is out and it was a private buy

·
Registered
43 Posts
with regards to the valet (me being a valeter)you had done and battery going flat this can happen with the valeters not turning off the interior lights as having the doors open to hoover etc but still in time takes to do that shouldnt flattened battery in that time inless its not holding charge properly my self would look at getting battery looked at tested and maybe its lead the ecu to read faults might be worth a try by disconnecting battery for half hour then reconecting ie resetting ecu i know it works on vectra unsure on yours sure someone will advise

·
Registered
43 Posts
the only thing i can think of with losing revs is the throttle housing theres a flap (butterfly) in there you need carb cleaner take off and do a good spray in there sometimes they stick giving you that problem it clear any gunk might take few turns to start after

·
Registered
39 Posts
i just brought a 2004 scenic 1.6 3 days ago Dooh!

Serious Problem

Had the car valeted today they steam cleaned the interior and washed the outside (not touching the engine compartment). when i went to pick the car up the valeting company had flattened the battery we jumped the car off another car and now it won't idle it starts and then the revs drop to low and it cuts out. i took the car on a 3 mile trip down the bypass to warm it up and it ran perfectly as long as i kept the revs up. now its showing an emission error on the clocks and still won't idle, any ideas ?

Concern

Car pulls to the right under acceleration, it's ok when cruising but soon as i touch the throttle off it goes into the fast lane. feels very vague at speed too

History

The car had an M.O.T before i handed over the cash and the one thing it failed on was a n/s lower arm/balljoint. This was replaced but due to me being keen on getting the car and the M.O.T station not having an upto date tracking setup i had to take the car to have the tracking setup myself. i did this today (4 wheel alignment) and found the tracking to be well out. it as now been correctly adjusted the the geometry shows no other reason for the car not driving straight
Welcome to the board ... sorry your having trouble.
You don't say if you had problems with the battery before the valet?
Batteries are by nature unpredictable, I would have it checked and if it's the original I would consider changing it. As you are probably aware, a battery that is on the blink can cause problems elsewhere within the system as it's all connected and finely balanced.
As to the vehicle veering off course that's a completely different problem. Again you don't say if the vehicle had this problem before you took it for valeting? If it isn't the tracking, perhaps the tyres need looking at and possibly replacing. Incidentally, I had a Bedford Caravanette many yours ago and I too had to change the tyres for this very reason.
The lack of engine power could be connected to the electrical problem ... I hope you soon fix it and feel happy with your vehicle again. :)
Gael33.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All electrical faults including the emission warning cleared themselves today after i fitted a new battery and i drove 60 mile up and down the motorway.

The car still cuts out as soon as the revs drop though and the steering still pulls to the right under acceleration, definitely not a tyre issue i'd say as it pulls quite strongly to the right on acceleration or left (back in line) when no throttle is applied.

booking in Renault tomorrow, big bill here i come

·
Registered
43 Posts
with regards to puling did this do it before you had n/s lower arm/balljoint if not would have that checked by who ever fitted could be suspect

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
only had the car since wednesday, brought it cheap from a company it was an ex pool car so lets say it's had a hard life so far lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
only had the car since wednesday, brought it cheap from a company it was an ex pool car so lets say it's had a hard life so far lol
Are you going to have it checked at a Renault garage? The reason that I ask, is that the ball joint that you had fitted may not be a standard Renault part and is perhaps not compatable, or has been badly fitted. Perhaps some of our more learned colleagues can confirm that (or not).
As to the engine rev problem ... any decent Renault garage will have that sorted in a jiffy. In my experience, nearly all vehicles have there little individual quirky things that persistently go wrong from time to time. It's as if they are built in from the factory. Most good garage mechanics soon learn about these and know exactly what to do to fix the problem. I'll bore you with my Fiat stories sometime :d
Sometimes cheap is not always best :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes it's there now ready for the Renault boys to sort first thing in the morning.

i guess it's either a steering rack or driveshaft that's gone but we will see

·
Registered
39 Posts
yes it's there now ready for the Renault boys to sort first thing in the morning.

i guess it's either a steering rack or driveshaft that's gone but we will see
Well, good luck and I hope its not too expensive ... let us know what the outcome is :)
Gael33

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope but just sent Renault Uk an email asking them to foot the bill car is only just out of warranty 30/01/07 surely they should pay something for such a regular failure of this item.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Good luck mate,

There are a few members who might know the best channels to go through (it might be worth starting another thread in the general topics perhaps)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dephaser pulley causing starting fault £657.06
NSF Lower arm faulty £341.47
Gosh! that's horrendous. See what Renault have to say, and if you get no joy from them approach the people who you bought the vehicle from. When all is said and done, you, like most of us would have bought the car with the understanding that it was roadworthy. Stretching the possibilities a little further, did you not say that the car came with a new MOT ... if that is the case then there must be someone responsable, other than yourself, who should in all fairness foot the bill.
I hope your outcome is favourable :)
Gael33

1 - 20 of 25 Posts