Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a w reg megane. k4m a700, and have a bent valve i was quoted £800 for new engine and fitting,

i have seen engines on ebay for 200-300 pound and thought would be cheaper to do it my self, just not sure what engine to buy, there are lots that start k4m, just wondered if the numbers that followed meant anything.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Ideally, you want one with an identical code, as ancillaries, mounts, gearboxes, etc can vary between the different engine numbers.

R

·
0 Posts
You could probably buy the parts and repair it yourself for less than £200 I use http://www.trechii.com/ usually it's only the valves that get bent as they are relativley weak and cause little other damage.

Don't buy an automatic K4M engine as the crank shaft holes are different between manual and automatic application engines so unless you swap the crankshafts around you cant mount a flywheel to a automatic engine and a torque converter to a manual engine.

D

·
0 Posts
Ideally, you want one with an identical code, as ancillaries, mounts, gearboxes, etc can vary between the different engine numbers.
But the head and block are the same so just a case of swapping mount / brackets etc?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i can buy any k4m engine but there might be a chance gearbox,starter, alternantor, mounts might not fit . hmmm

R

·
0 Posts
I would think that a K4M will be pretty much the same and anything that might be different you should be able to swap from your orginal engine.

Or maybe you could go for an exchange cylinder head. The cylinder head from the 1.4 K4J is the same as the 1.6 K4M they use the same head gaskets and valves IIRC it's only the length of the stroke that makes them different

D

·
0 Posts
That's my logic too.

So if i buy this Laguna engine i've found and it doesn't fit< i can come back to you and swear then?! :d

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well ive just bought an engine lets see how much fun i have changing it over, k4m d710 from a laguna too . :d

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
At least all Laguna 1.6s are manual :)

R

·
0 Posts
another consideration is whether you have Variable Valve Timing with a dephaser pulley or the engine you are buying has VVT .

The cylinder heads for cars with VVT are different in that they have a hole in the upper cylinder head to accept a dephaser solenoid and the lower cylinder head has the oil way to feed the dephaser solenoid valve which controls the dephaser pulley.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Hmm, so you probably don't want a Lag 2 engine then - K4M-700 apparently doesn't have VVT. ECUs might not be interchangeable either... The Lag II Haynes states that the petrols use a Sagem S2000 ECU, whereas the Lag 1 Haynes says the 1.6/1.8 16v engines use Siemens SIRIUS. I need to reinstall Dialogys...

D

·
0 Posts
From a quick wizz through autodata, all the tech info for k4m's (timing belt set up, hp, head tightening etc) seem to be the same, so fingers crossed. And no mention of vvt on them

R

·
0 Posts
VVT is fitted to some K4M engines.

Hmm, so you probably don't want a Lag 2 engine then - K4M-700 apparently doesn't have VVT. ECUs might not be interchangeable either... The Lag II Haynes states that the petrols use a Sagem S2000 ECU, whereas the Lag 1 Haynes says the 1.6/1.8 16v engines use Siemens SIRIUS. I need to reinstall Dialogys...
The Laguna 1.8 is the F4P engine which is physically the same as the 2.0 F4R as they share the same cylinder head.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
From a quick wizz through autodata, all the tech info for k4m's (timing belt set up, hp, head tightening etc) seem to be the same, so fingers crossed. And no mention of vvt on them
Then Autodata is wrong. There are definitely 1.6 engines with VVT!

D

·
0 Posts
I admit i didnt go through them all, but the ones in the 700's all look the same

R

·
0 Posts
You need to remove the drivers side engine mounting to see the dephaser pulley though you can easily tell by looking at the upper cylinder head near the oil filler to see if there is a dephaser solenoid mounted, Here are some photos of 2 upper 2.0 F4R cylinder heads 1 with and 1 without VVT. The K4M extremely similar though the solenoid hole is in a slightly different location.

Dephaser pulley mounted on the inlet cam shaft

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
VVT is fitted to some K4M engines.
All K4Ms in Lag IIs have VVT, I don't think any do in Lag 1s (though they did eventually get the 2.0 VVT, I believe...)

The Laguna 1.8 is the F4P engine which is physically the same as the 2.0 F4R as they share the same cylinder head.
Sorry for causing confusion. I know the 1.8 is an F-Series, and hence totally different engine (I own cars with F3P and F4P engines at the moment, lol) but I was writing verbatim what the Haynes manual said: 1.6/1.8 16v engines use the Siemens SIRIUS ECU.

D

·
0 Posts
You need to remove the drivers side engine mounting to see the dephaser pulley though you can easily tell by looking at the upper cylinder head near the oil filler to see if there is a dephaser solenoid mounted, Here are some photos of 2 upper 2.0 F4R cylinder heads 1 with and 1 without VVT. The K4M extremely similar though the solenoid hole is in a slightly different location.

Dephaser pulley mounted on the inlet cam shaft
Nice one, that makes things clearer!
As the engine i have my eye on is local, I can check it out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts