Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Some of you may know I'm after a new engine for the Clio, The car is recorded as a 1.4 16V on a 2005 plate, The engine cover also reads 1.4 16v.

Now I came to get the exact number to find the same engine but noticed the head has a couple of stickers on that say its a K4M C52 176. (Head is off the car)

Could this be a K4M head on a K4J engine as I've read they are very very similar. I suspect someone has replaced the engine for a 1.6 as I don't know the history of the car. Can see any engine numbers on the block.

I just want to make sure I can keep the existing ECU etc.

Thanks again guys, Very confused

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heads on them are identical. Someone could have replaced the head after cambelt failure. See engine Block number.
Thanks,

Engine block number is missing, Can't see any other markings, I'll plug it in and see what model the ECU is, They must be different?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Just measure the piston stroke if you think it's a 1.6 block.

The 1.4 litre stroke is 70.0mm, whilst the 1.6 is 80.5mm. Both share a 79.5mm bore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just measure the piston stroke if you think it's a 1.6 block.

The 1.4 litre stroke is 70.0mm, whilst the 1.6 is 80.5mm. Both share a 79.5mm bore.
Good idea, Thanks for this,

Was looking in the haynes to compare the engines and didn't think of that- doh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there , im in the middle of repairing a k4m 1.6 16v
2002 , but the head i have to fit if from a k4j 1.4 16v
now i know the heads are the same but are the cams the same as well or will i need to fit the 1.6 cams .
without being rude im not after a maybe answer, i need hear some one say there 100% the same .
gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts