Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, on 1st March we said a fond farewell to our 13 year old Clio Dynamique and took delivery of our shiny new Kadjar Iconic and what a change! Great 1.3 turbo charged engine that is both nippy and quiet. Gradually getting my head around all the tech but I do have one small reservation and it's those 19 in wheels with low profile tyres which I have to say do give a rather edgy ride over less than smooth road surfaces. They are apparently known for this which I found out after I purchased! I see on Youtube that a chap in USA with a Tesla with similar low profile tyres, reduced his pressures by 10 % and noticed an improvement in ride quality. I decided to check mine and found that three were on 24 bar on three tyres and 25 bar on one so I reduced them to 23 bar at the front and 21 bar at the rear (as suggested for two people) and there does seem to be a slight improvement. Could I possibly go any lower or will the system shout at me and tell me they are under inflated?! It's a bit of a puzzle to me as to why Renault insist on putting these 19 in tyres on all but one of the models. I would have thought most SUV owners were more interested in a comfortable ride than the ultimate in road holding abilities. I would imagine changing the wheels to 17 in would be rather expensive and not very viable. Apart from that a great car. Your comments would be appreciated. Regards.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
24/25 BAR?

Probably missed the decimal ......... 2.4/2.5?

Anyway ................. imo the rolling resistance of a low profile tire is markedly lower than that of "normal" profile tire at the same pressure ................... thus the manufacturers and their infernal chasing of low consumption figures are using this fact to help reduce emission figures .............

If you have a TPMS system on the vehicle it will start shouting at you for sure depending on how it has been setup....... experimenting will show you the way.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
There are a few reasons behind larger wheels being fitted.

They will help o offset some of the inferior dynamics of a heavier car with a higher CofG, along with allowing for the fitment of larger brake discs (again, due to the mass).

Plus, from an aesthetic perspective, larger-bodied cars NEED a larger wheel to look like it isn't on castors.

You must've liked the looks, since you bought it. (so it worked)

I would be wary about meddling with tyre pressures too much, as reducing them will increase the internal temperature of the tyre, and cn cause an abrupt failure (Google Ford Explorer Firestone tyres, for a very well-documented history lesson).

You don't want to end up wearing your car as a hat.

Hope your car gives you many years & miles of happy service.

Paul

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,111 Posts
Yep you've found the biggest problem with alloys and low profile tyres. All done for the reasons stated, plus handling and cornering benefits, but at the expense of ride. Lower tyre profiles and alloys (as opposed to the old pressed steel) are much less forgiving to bumps and potholes. Keep the recommended tyre pressures though - they do much more than control ride comfort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, on 1st March we said a fond farewell to our 13 year old Clio Dynamique and took delivery of our shiny new Kadjar Iconic and what a change! Great 1.3 turbo charged engine that is both nippy and quiet. Gradually getting my head around all the tech but I do have one small reservation and it's those 19 in wheels with low profile tyres which I have to say do give a rather edgy ride over less than smooth road surfaces. They are apparently known for this which I found out after I purchased! I see on Youtube that a chap in USA with a Tesla with similar low profile tyres, reduced his pressures by 10 % and noticed an improvement in ride quality. I decided to check mine and found that three were on 24 bar on three tyres and 25 bar on one so I reduced them to 23 bar at the front and 21 bar at the rear (as suggested for two people) and there does seem to be a slight improvement. Could I possibly go any lower or will the system shout at me and tell me they are under inflated?! It's a bit of a puzzle to me as to why Renault insist on putting these 19 in tyres on all but one of the models. I would have thought most SUV owners were more interested in a comfortable ride than the ultimate in road holding abilities. I would imagine changing the wheels to 17 in would be rather expensive and not very viable. Apart from that a great car. Your comments would be appreciated. Regards.
Interested to find out what you did in the end as I'm asking the same question across a couple of forum sites. Did you swap out the wheels for 17in alloys or go for another tyre?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts