1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kangoo Mk1 Phase 2 1.5Dci K9K718 with A/C
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I need to top up the gearbox.

I have found the gearbox oil filler, but cannot get good access to the filler, due to the gearbox having strengthening webs in the casting, meaning I cannot get a pair of pliers to it.

Being a Kangoo, the bonnet hinges are at the front of the car so access from above is not easy, and it also has A/C and an Intercooler, so more pipes are in the way.

Access from underneath is cramped even with the engine under shield removed.

Any clever ideas or tools that you have improvised to get the plug out?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear All,

Necessity was the mother of invention.

I decided I would need to fabricate a "special tool" for this task.

I found a short length of 22mm diameter (1.5mm wall) steel tube (from an old child's garden swing set - thank you China for cheap steel!) and cut a slot across the open end of the tube (approx 4mm wide x 4mm 4mm deep) - this will engage with the "wings" of the filler plug.

I then salvaged a 300mm length of aluminium tube (approx 10mm diameter) to use as a Tommy bar.

I drilled two 10mm holes through the sides of the tube to take the Tommy bar, this gave me two positions where the Tommy bar could fit, depending upon the alignment of the slot with the filler plug wings.

Took about 1 hour to fabricate the tool.

I removed the engine under tray (4x 6mm bolts) and from the top, I moved the top radiator hose out of its holder to get more room and disconnected the air filter intake pipe to give better access from the top.

After a bit of trial and error, I managed to get the filler loose - it wasn't that tight, just in an awkward position where you couldn't get enough grip with fingers alone.

I just need to fill the oil using a 50ml syringe and some plastic tube - is the correct level when it flows out of the fill hole (with the car level )?

Hope this helps someone one day.....

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Job Done!!

Added 350ml of Elf Tranself NFJ 75W-80 - oil low as a result of a driveshaft which popped out when replacing the suspension lower ball joint - rookie mistake!

Found that there is also a rubber washer fitted to the filler plug - only found by accident when cleaning up the overspill, as it had popped off and was sitting on the web of the gearbox!

The home made tool needs a slight modification - the depth of the slot should be 9mm not 4mm (picture shows slot at 4mm depth) - increasing the slot depth to 9mm will allow more grip on the wings of the filler to avoid damaging the filler and help it to engage more easily.

Hope this helps someone.....

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

I need to top up the gearbox.

I have found the gearbox oil filler, but cannot get good access to the filler, due to the gearbox having strengthening webs in the casting, meaning I cannot get a pair of pliers to it.

Being a Kangoo, the bonnet hinges are at the front of the car so access from above is not easy, and it also has A/C and an Intercooler, so more pipes are in the way.

Access from underneath is cramped even with the engine under shield removed.

Any clever ideas or tools that you have improvised to get the plug out?

Thanks
Thanks very much for the info and pictures I'd been looking for sometime to find it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts