Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently my air con started to make pool of water on the passenger side. here's how to access the drain-tube to clear it.

pry up gear-stick gaiter, and then the plastic surround. start at the bottom of the surround, i think it works better that way. detach the hazard/door-lock connector and guide the gaiter sideways through the surround.
undo torx screw(or screws, but i only had one!) at the top of the plastic binacle, then take out the plugs either side at the base of the binacle. note: there is a loose section that the plug goes into on the passenger side that can come off as you try to remove the plug, don't worry, this just clips back in place. pry binacle out, there are two spring-clippy things, either side, that hold the edges in place, it should come fairly easily.
you are now left with a 'naked' gear frame.
i have circled the pipe that you need to clear, this comes off/ out very easily. you might want some cloths wedged around to catch any water, luckily mine had dripped through over-night, and there was none left, but wasn't sure untill i pulled tube off!
** you now also have good access to the cover for the cabin filters( can be a bit of a pfaff, as you have two to fit in there!), if you feel like getting this done also **
got quite a bit of vegetation out the tube. i left the 'valve' bit intact on the tube, as i reasoned that i might be easier to clear this section, rather than lower down, should another blockage occur, if i cut open the valve.
did my best to vacuum out any debris through drain outlet on base of ventilation unit. cross-fingers, hope i got it all. i did try to un-clip this base, but was unsuccessful.

on re-assembly, i read somewhere that it's best to clip back the gear stick surround( bit that goes round the stereo) by starting with the top. (reversal of taking it off!) worked for me.

hope that this helps another kangoo 2 owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I've found an easier way on my 2011 Kangoo 2. You can access the rubber drain hose from below without going through the gearstick binnacle. I removed the plastic button (see the red arrow) at the front of the binnacle in the passenger footwell and bent the plastic back. It's then possible to reach in and pull out the rubber hose. Mine was full of birch seeds because I park my van under a silver birch tree.

The photo's a bit dark, but once you have pulled back the plastic side cover you can reach in and feel the rubber hose. It just pulls horizontally off the tube from the air conditioner, and vertically out of the hole in the floor.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I've found an easier way on my 2011 Kangoo 2. You can access the rubber drain hose from below without going through the gearstick binnacle. I removed the plastic button (see the red arrow) at the front of the binnacle in the passenger footwell and bent the plastic back. It's then possible to reach in and pull out the rubber hose. Mine was full of birch seeds because I park my van under a silver birch tree.
View attachment 192379

The photo's a bit dark, but once you have pulled back the plastic side cover you can reach in and feel the rubber hose. It just pulls horizontally off the tube from the air conditioner, and vertically out of the hole in the floor.
View attachment 192380
hi. these tubes get full of stuff because there is no protection for the ventilation fan in the engine bay. unless mine is missing. a time before, as i had everything off, to get to the egr valve, to clean it( another phaff), i could see nothing but a big hole where the fan sucks in air. no grill, nothing protective, like one might expect. very easy for stuff to go down inside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts