Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All three switches are malfunctioning for the front door electric window control. I have taken them out and disassembled them and cleaned the components. Lots of dirt inside. However I believe the problem is worn contacts on the brass 'spring' like plates. Have filed corrosion and pitting off those. One switch worked for about 12 hours but now not working. Has anyone successfully managed to repair these switches or am I wasting my time and need to import some from the UK? Kangoo and Clio I believe share the same window switches. Thanks Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok here is my answer to my own question. Yes it is possible to repair the window switches! At least I have been successful with the aid of a contact testing light.

Here is the route I followed.

Take the cover of the door cubby holes off - need a torx 20 spanner. Unplug the switches. The switches come out by squeezing lugs on each end simultaneously and lifting them out of the holes.
Disassemble the switches by using a small screwdriver to pop of the operating cover and the internal rocker switch. Do one at a time and note the configuration for re assembly! Remove the white plastic end plates and their springs - beware losing the end springs - they are good jumpers. I discarded the lights and there plastic holders - the little globes were blown and I sure impossible to get in the Seychelles. Inside the switches was fall of grunge and dust and beach sand - hazard of life on a tropical island. I soaked all the components in mineral turpentine . After drying them I lightly sanded the contacts on the brass contact springs and re assembled the switches. Except for the outer operating lever and the inner black plastic rocker. Now the trick is to get contact on pressure. One can simulate the action of the rocker by pressing on the white plastic end parts. A clicking sound will be heard but that does not necessarily mean contact. By using a testing light see if contact is occurring between the brass springs and the central contact post. If not push the central contact post down until contact is good - you can also test in situ before - completing reassembly and re installation. Check fuses as well. I blew a fuse by pushing the central contact bar too far down.

All things being equal you should have a fully functioning switch until it gets dirty/worn again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.