Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Australia.I have a Kangoo 2005 1.6L petrol with 30000miles on clock.I have a noise coming from the alternator area and on inspection found bits of metal peeling from the front of the alternator pulley and the shaft moves in and out if I prise it with a screwdriver.Ive read on this forum that this pulley has a clutch,what on earth for?Also that it has given a lot of trouble.The alternator is under the steering pump and on top of aircon compressor, do one of these have to come out before I can remove the alternator.Ive taken it to two Auto electricians and neither wanted to touch it saying must be mad buying a Renault.One has Kangoo sitting in workshop 3 weeks waiting for parts for similar problem.

Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
MK3 Scenic Dynamique 1.9 Dci 2010
Cant give you any details about removing the alternator but what I do know is Dont use the car until it is sorted as if the pulley breaks up you will wreck the engine as I have had a similar fault on my last Scenic 1.6, when the pulley broke up and and was told it will throw the belt which will then throw the cambelt with expensive results, hope you get it fixed.

Suggest Ebay for a replacement alternator.

Premium Member
The alternator with a clutch are seen as a fuel saving device allowing it to continue to spin when the engine speed drops.

Yes you'll need to remove either the steering pump or the air-con compressor. I suggest you opt to remove the steering pump.

Reconditioned alternators are freely available in Europe but as Renault isn't a popular model in the Antipodes expect spares to difficult to come by.:)

HotShoe WANNABEE..
madnoel10:

Interesting thought... Alternator Clutch.

Completely nonplussed at the concept... Alt is a constant load item (producing current/always a 'load' on the belt) no?
No matter what speed the engine is doing... I imagine the Alt is a 'drag'... never 'just spinning' freely:confused:

This is so strange.

Are Renault the only ones doing this????

:loser:
knownClone

Premium Member
I believe many other models use a similar system. It's an idea introduced by the car electronics industry. Basically it works on the same principle of the free-wheel mechanism on a bicycle. Simply it's a means of using the kinetic energy of the alternator on over-run.

Just how effective it is I just don't know but I get the gut feeling it's another so-called expensive green environmental ploy to sooth the green brigade.:)

Banned
Access to remove alternator on the Kangoo is rather poor even on a good day. My alternator burnt out last year and I fitted a cheaper aftermarket alternator with a solid pulley. Bumper, offside road wheel, intercooler, alternator support bracket etc etc have to be removed to replace alternator - impossible to complete wearing a white shirt sitting comfortably in a deck chair. You need a special tool to remove the original free wheel pulley and this is impossible to do in situ. Laser Alternator Tool 3404 should fit your pulley but please check to be sure.

Kindly note that you may have to manually tension auxiliary drive belt tension and confirm tension by measuring belt vibration frequency.

Reactions: cangaroo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies,I decided that it all looks too hard and am handing it over to a Peugeot mechanic who assures me its the same on similar model Pugs and he can get parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.