Independent Renault Forums banner

Kangoo & Clio Power Steering Pump (EHPS)

9K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  russ17 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Had a noisy electric power steering pump since I bought the car over three years ago.

Here is a document that describes how i resolved the issue, as new pumps are very expensive (>£500) and even re-manufactured units can be over £200. I came up with an alternative that cost only £15!

Hope this helps someone one day.

Russ

Attachments

#5 ·
Dear Tim

I am really glad that you found the information useful.

hopefully you can find a used pump from a Citroen or Peugeot as I did and perform the surgery!

I can report that a year on, my repair has performed well. The steering is still a bit heavier than I would like, but at least it works.

I haven’t yet got around to disassembling the actual hydraulic part of the pump, to see if it can be refurbished (it can be done, but I haven’t found a kit online), so I would need to work out exactly what parts are required, and buy them separately.

Let me know if you have any questions before you start and let me know if you are successful.

it is quite straightforward to do, if you follow my guide. The hardest part fir me was getting the pump union released- don’t force it because if you damage the pipes or the union nut, you will make the job very difficult, as sourcing anew pipe will be very hard. I do have a “spare” union and flared pipe end, where it was cut off the donor vehicle.

Regards

Russ

#6 ·
Hi again Russ, the pump in question still works, it's just painfully noisy when I apply any steering adjustments. It's located in a ridiculous position I agree. Apparently Renault didn't allocate for it when they positioned the A/C unit ( it should be where that is!) Consequently the electric power steering pump is very much a bolt on afterthought, and gets everything the weather can throw at it. I'm still reluctant to pay the outrageous prices being asked for a replacement.....£180.00 from Poland? More than the van's worth for a new one. I recently gave the motor an "engineer's tap" with a hammer and it became less noisy. Any idea what is actually causing the noise. Bearings perhaps? I'm keen to find out as I reckon it's maybe a less financially gut wrenching fix. Tanks once again for the surgical report!
Tim

#7 ·
Hi Tim,

I would say that the hydraulic part of the pump is the noisy part. Getting the whole pump off the car isn't that difficult.

Lift car, wheel off, wheel arch liner off, release, pump union and return hose, release electrical connector, unbolt carrier (which brings pump out too) and remove from vehicle.

You can separate the pump, reservoir and motor and try the motor on it own, to see if the motor is noisy, but I think that the pump will be the culprit. The motor could just be noisy under load, so on its own, it may be quiet. Is the motor body badly corroded?

The motor can be replaced separately as you probably know, but they are not cheap either (about £80-90)

Used donor pump from a 106 on an auction site pump for £55

#8 ·
The thing about forums is that when you post, your post is available for anyone anywhere anytime. I'm in Australia and I can't imagine not having air conditioning, so I was confused about all your cars having mechanical pumps. Then I found your post and it REALLY helped. Thank you so much. My Kangoo is an Aussi Spec 2009 1.5 k9k X76, but it is the older body than your northern hemisphere 2009s. It looks like the early Kangoo with the clear indicators under the headlamps, not the orange ones.
This is something to consider if you need a used pump. All Australian Kangoos have A/C and therefore EPS. And we use salt on our barbeques, not our roads, so corrosion should not be an issue. If you ever get desperate you might google some of our breakers, called Wreckers down here. Just be aware cars hold their values here, and my X76 with 200,000ks (120,000 miles) is worth around $A7,000. I bought it with a blown engine and the used motor cost $2,300.
Mine suddenly started leaking fluid and I couldn't locate the source. I just put it up on a hoist and tried to remove the pump, but the heavy wires won't come out and I don't want to force them. Yes, I've released the white clip, but no-go.
So I thoroughly cleaned the assembly and ran the pump with it hanging on its hoses. No signs of leaks, but some perishing around the return hose. I'll get another length of hose and fix this, but I suspect the large O ring around the reservoir may be my problem. Time will tell. At least I can change that without needing to disconnect those heavy wires. Any idea what size the reservoir o-ring is?
I topped the fluid up with some Power Steering Stop-Leak, but your comment on the EPS oil being different to the standard oil has me thinking about flushing that out pretty quick.
AS we head into Autumn down here I guess I'll only need the air conditioning for a few more months then the two weeks of winter will require the heater be turned on.

#10 ·
Hi,

The pdf I wrote contains details of how to replace the pump using a donor pump from Peugeot 106 or Citroen Saxo.
The pumps are nearly identical and they use the same motor also , which has the same electrical connector also.

When my pump started to fail, it was a squealing noise, like a fan belt slipping.

Were you sure that the condition of the parts you fitted was good? Did you use new power steering fluid? If so, did you use fluid designed for electro hydraulic steering systems (EHPS) as it is different to standard fluid, so I am told. This may cause issues within the pump if standard fluid was used.

I have not stripped down the pump itself, so I don’t know anything about the pump parts.

#11 ·
The PDF can download freely and just needs a standard PDF reader to open it.

The “pump” is made up of three parts. Motor, pump and reservoir. They are held together by 4 screws, which go from the reservoir, through two clamps, through the body of the pump and screw into the motor , which keeps it all clamped together.

#15 ·
Hey Ross, I have a question for you, hopefully with your knowledge on EHPS you can help me.

I have bought and installed a Renault Kangoo 2 Electric Steering pump part #8200718096. I installed it on a BMW e46 with the intention of drifting but I am presenting some issues, when I have to rapidly turn the steering wheel it gets extremely hard, it poses great resistance. If I turn it slowly it feels ok. So I have been trying to find the electrical diagram or the pinout for this pump to verify if it is properly connected. But I have had no luck.

I have the big plug connected to ground and 12V directly to the battery and from the other connector I have 1 Wire connected to a 12V from the ignition switch to trigger it. There is 1 more cable that I don't know what it is for.
Picture below to show the pump as reference

Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Bottle Bottle cap

#16 ·
Hi,
The pump you have pictured is different to the phase 1 Kangoo pump (phase 1 is just a motor with no CANBUS feedback or control , just + 12v and ground).
The pump pictured looks like it has some CANBUS connections which I have no data on. I didn’t know these type actually existed as I thought phase 2 Kangoo used and electric motor steering rack with no hydraulic pump.

sorry I cannot assist.

ask a question in the forum and DancingDad or Ours2012 might be able to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.