Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 51 reg Kangoo 65 Diesel for work and it is driving us nuts!

I'll try and explain the problem.

It started when the van wouldn't start after being left for a few minutes. (Supermarket car park usually). We seemed to resolve it by pressing the red fuel reset button a few times and off it would go. This, however isn't the problem at all. It just needs to be left a little while and it'll start OK.

When it has decided not to run and you turn the starter the whole van shakes and shudders, but refuses to fire. It did it today again and needed to be left for 40mins before it decided to start.

However, twice now, it has cut out whilst being driven! So far it has happened at very low speed, but it is a worry.....

Our local mechanic has done a diagnostic and the ECU isn't reporting a recognisable fault. The local Renault dealer is similarly puzzled.

This seems to be a real toughie! Any Renault gurus know this problem????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jimmy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP.....

This is obviously a tricky one! I'm hoping to get this thing fixed this week. It would be really nice to know what's wrong with it first!

Jimmy.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sounds like a classic TDC sensor fault,but there are a number of other things it could be....

First off,when the car plays up,when it eventually starts is there a lot of smoke from the exhaust?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply lagdti.

When it does decide it's time to let me start it it starts absolutely normally with no big clouds of smoke or any drama at all.

This TDC thing.....why should it cause this?

Further help needed.....

Jimmy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'm guessing that your Kangoo is a dCi engine???

If so,then the ECU uses the Top Dead Centre Sensor(or Crank Sensor as it's also known) to identify what position the engine is in to fire the injectors.If it gets no signal from the sensor it thinks that the engine isn't turning so doesn't bother injecting any fuel.

It might be worth removing the sensor and cleaning the magnetic pick up part of it.I'm not 100% sure of the exact location on your car,but it will be in the clutch bell housing area somewhere as it takes it's readings from the flywheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, sounds promising! Thanks.

It's the 1.9 non turbo with no power, even when it's running well. So it could be the dCi.

We'll persue this a bit and get back to you. If anybody thinks it's something else then feel free to join in!

Jimmy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Van is in the garage tomorrow getting a new TDC Sensor fitted! I'll let you know if this sorts it.

Fingers crossed!

Jimmy

·
Registered
7 Posts
im digging up an old thread here but my kangoo is doing the exact same thing . did you get it sorted and if so what was the problem . i've had a couple of mechanics that i know look at it but there puzzled

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If yours intermittantly cuts out when driving then try moving the connection on the TDC sensor with the engine running,I suspect you'll find the engine will cut out.I've had a few do it in the past.

·
Registered
7 Posts
its fine when driving and it starts fine when it has been sitting for a while even a few days in the cold its just when it has been driven then stopped for ten mins or so it wont start without keeping the key turned and giving it some gas then it stumbles to a start

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Very sorry to bring up an old topic but i would like to know if the above guys got there Kangoo fixed?

I have the exact same problem.... Van starts fine when cold in mornings run very well, if you stop after the van has warmed up at the shops for 15 mins when you come back to try to start it just turns over stumbles and sounds very rough! but it will start after a few goes, never cuts out when driving, no smoke. 1.5DCI 68K fully serived. please help driving me crazy!!

Could it be the TDC sensor..?

·
Registered
7 Posts
No joy here mate the problems not got any worse but still happening . Taking it to mechanic next week to get the rear drums seeing to and he said he will try the fault finder on it too see if anything flags up. let me know if you have any joy anyway

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks pg!! Did you check the tdc sensor as mentioned by previous people on this topic?

Please let me know if you have any luck it will be much appreciated! I'll put a post up If I find anything out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven't checked the tdc sensor but I'll ask my mechanic if he can do it .
I had a similar problem with my seat ibiza and it was a leaking fuel filter . The filter on the kangoo is fine but it could be worth checking yours out . It's just in front of the battery Im sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to let you know pg I removed the TDC sensor today and cleaned the head (it had lots of small metal filings on it!) only stoped a few times when the engine was warm today but all seems good so far. Get your mechanic to check it, or do it yourself it only took me 30 mins, a little tight and fidley to get out but nothing majour!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Finally got round to removing tdc sensor and cleaning it up but the problem is still there , any more suggestions as to what it could be ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2006 1.5 sci kangoo is doing the same, although it does have trouble starting in the mornings.

Changing the fuel filter tomorrow. Glow plugs to be done soon and possibly bad injector or two!

The joys!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts