Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
New to forum so be kind to me ...1.9 diesel kango van non turbo 2001 , the engine has started becoming eratic on tickover and low revs while driving but it is not all the time just most of the time (if that makes sense) I took it to my local garage and he resealed the little rubber washer were the airbox joins the engine but that didnt work! It smells a lot of exhust, I have checked the forum without success to find an answer or is there no easy way to diagnose this problem
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thank you
Tom

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
EGR valve may be stuck open or partly open. A good clean requires plenty of elbow grease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found it , removed it and cleaned it,,,yuk!! but I did notice that the top disc was slightly open by about 1/2mm and no matter how I tried I couldn't close it !
Also I read on a previous post that there was an issue with the sensor on the bottom part of the airbox and disconnecting this eliminated the problem, anyhow I have refitted the clean valve AND disconnected the sensor and early indications are good, no more spluttering so I think it best if I replace both......(will the top disc slightly open have any effect on it?)

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
Yuk! It is best wearing surgical gloves when cleaning out the EGR valve. Soak in diesel, paraffin or white spirit then steam clean. Test to make sure valve is free moving and that it seals.
Unsure what you mean by top disc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The valve I removed is on the nearside of the engine below the air box, it has three bolts (10mm) and is cylidrical in shape about 150mm total length, there are two open chambers both facing in adjacent directions and in the centre there is a shaft about 5mm in dia and two circular discs (top and bottom) that seal against a seat, it is possible to open and close these manually it wouls appear that they are internally spring loaded and they seat pretty much the same as an exhaust valve in the cylinder head, there wasnt any goo on them just dry soot but a lot of it.
It was the top disc that wasnt seated and still isnt by about 1/2 mm.
Qustion is: have I removed the wrong item and should there be goo in there also what effect will it have with the top one being ever so slightly open?

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
It seems your valve is not 100% clean. Actuator can be separated from the valve. Valve has two discs that are connected by a shaft. The shaft is spring loaded if I remember right. Pierburg, the manufacturer does not recommend cleaning the EGR valve but lots of owners including myself have done successful cleans so no problem. As already stated, the valve really needs be immersed in a solvent and steam cleaned or cleaned with a pressure washer, preferably hot or warmish water. Then immerse again in cleaning fluid and work it until it is free and sealing positively. Also lube the shaft in way of bush liberally before refitting.
Does yours look similar to the Pierburg shown in this Service Information SI 0085?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes thats it,,,,when you say you can remove the actuator what part is that?? There wasnt any gunge on it just a lot of dry soot and it did move up and down freely so I just washed it in petrol and replaced it.

·
Banned
1,675 Posts
Yes thats it,,,,when you say you can remove the actuator what part is that?? There wasnt any gunge on it just a lot of dry soot and it did move up and down freely so I just washed it in petrol and replaced it.
Actuator is a fairly slack interference fit onto the valve body. It will wrench off easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts