Independent Renault Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
NO - thats not it!

If you look at the pic I posted before you will see part of the same splined plug (around the fat red battery cable) in addition to the normal square hole filler plug further away - do not remove that - use the correct plug requiring the square driver.

Looks like you do have a DP0 there ok from what I have as reference material - model FC0L

If you compare the pic I posted with the square hole to the last one of yours, you will find the filler plug in the location I circled in red in the dark there.

View attachment 179683
Bingo!!

Once part of the air intake assembly is removed (it easily unclips), the fill plug is visible and easy to access. A photo is attached. I need to get hold of a funnel with a long flexible spout and a narrow spout opening. These are readily available from the local equivalent of Halfords.

With luck I can get the job done this weekend and will let you know how I get on.

Kang04C.JPG

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,602 Posts
Follow the instrructions on topping up and checking with engine running etc.
Don't just pour in a couple of litres, sneak up on it, 100ml at a time or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
[QUOTE
NO - thats not it!

If you look at the pic I posted before you will see part of the same splined plug (around the fat red battery cable) in addition to the normal square hole filler plug further away - do not remove that - use the correct plug requiring the square driver.

Looks like you do have a DP0 there ok from what I have as reference material - model FC0L

If you compare the pic I posted with the square hole to the last one of yours, you will find the filler plug in the location I circled in red in the dark there.

View attachment 179683
[/QUOTE]
Follow the instrructions on topping up and checking with engine running etc.
Don't just pour in a couple of litres, sneak up on it, 100ml at a time or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
[QUOTE
NO - thats not it!

View attachment 179683
[/QUOTE]
Following all of the advice given, I poured 800ml of ATF into the transmission via the fill plug; went for a drive to get the engine nice and hot and then checked the level using the method posted previously.

Nothing came out! Clearly the gear box was low on ATF and I suspect I'm not the only person who got their plugs confused. At any rate, I then added a further 200ml of fluid. Again, nothing drained out.

The car runs quite well, the transmission changes gear nicely and there are no expensive noises.

What do people think? Should I keep adding (say) 100ml of ATF until I get some fluid draining or should I make the assumption the gear box has sufficient ATF and leave well enough alone?

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
You may be at or close to the limit currently .................. if the box also was nice and hot (needs around 10-15km trip or interrogate with scanner/measure with IR gun on sump to see 60C+)

I would add another 500ml (imo 100ml is too little since that is about what you need to drain) and continue to follow the recipe to check how much oil comes out when the box is hot with the engine running.......... if you want it done right you have no choice.

Since the vehicle has never covered huge distances over all the years and is still shifting ok, I reckon it was low to the tune of about a liter - ie - the typical voume that drains out with a normal and proper fill and stationary engine when you inadvertently open the auto's drain plug when its cold ............... if it was hot it will be short by about 15% more

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,577 Posts
I think the problem was that the old fluid was so contaminated that it came out very dirty, all the evidence of the original pink long gone so you were fooled into thinking it was engine oil. With that in mind it may be worth doing a couple of flushes of undoing the larger hex to get most of the fluid out then adding 3½ litres of new fluid and checking the level as you have just done. Although it is counter intuitive you must have the engine running! Also the fluid needs to be fully synthetic to Renault's spec for DPO transmissions though you may get away with ordinary ATF if you carry out fluid changes at say 2 yearly intervals but if you are hanging onto the car I would use the more expensive fully synthetic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You may be at or close to the limit currently .................. if the box also was nice and hot (needs around 10-15km trip or interrogate with scanner/measure with IR gun on sump to see 60C+)

I would add another 500ml (imo 100ml is too little since that is about what you need to drain) and continue to follow the recipe to check how much oil comes out when the box is hot with the engine running.......... if you want it done right you have no choice.

Since the vehicle has never covered huge distances over all the years and is still shifting ok, I reckon it was low to the tune of about a liter - ie - the typical voume that drains out with a normal and proper fill and stationary engine when you inadvertently open the auto's drain plug when its cold ............... if it was hot it will be short by about 15% more
Success!

You were right. The box was nearly full. I added 300ml and after a long drive drained 200ml out.

Thank you for your advice and guidance. It's much appreciated.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts