Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads,

re: 1.4 petrol 2000 Kangoo

Over the last few weeks I could hear a humming/buzzing noise coming from the rear of the car while on tickover.

When you switch the iginition on you could hear the same noise for a few seconds when the fuel pump was pressureising the system.

I was getting the car serviced & asked the mechanic to look into the humming noise. Got a call to say the bearings are going on the pump & it needed to be replaced. I was also told it was a big job, tank had to be removed, 3 hours labour:mad:

Anyway, I said replace the pump. I just got the car back & I can still hear the buzzing noise, it's slightly different but still there?

I'm now aware of the inspection plate that's under the rear seat that allows you to access the pump. 3 hours seems a bit rich for replacing a fuel pump that you can get at handy, what do you guys think?

The buzzing noise is my main worry, I'm sure they put a new pump in, so if the pump is not causing the buzzing noise what could it be? Petrol tank mountings? Blocked fuel filter (or is this built into the pump?

SO, I have two issues:

1. Do you guys think 3 hours is OK for replacing a fuel pump on a petrol Kangoo?

2. IF the fuel pump was replaced with a new one, what could still be causing the humming/buzzing noise?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Firstly the fuel tank sender must be changed within a one hour period otherwise there is a risk the tank will distort so it sounds like the garage don't have experience of doing the job. And as you say the tank unit can be changed without removing the tank would make me suspicious.

Whe you first switch the ignition on the pump should run for a few seconds at most and then stop once the pressure in the fuel rail has been built up. After that the pump will more or less run almost constantly so it can deliver fuel at a constant rate..

If the pump contiues to run beyond a few seconds after ignition switch on then there is either fuel plumbing fault or an electrrcial problem.
The pump is controlled via a relay and a pressure regulator.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.

I dropped into the mechanic today & he explained he replaced the actual pump motor & not the complete unit which includes the fuel level sensor etc.

I explained the noise is still there after I swithc the engine on I can hear a whining noise, it's not super loud but loud enough to hear at tickover.

He was fair enough & said he could also hear the noise & there is a very slim chance it's a dodgy new motor!!

He said to drop it in to him next week & he will get another new motor from Renault & fit it, he had no problem with me watching while he worked, which is fair enough.

From my point of view the I noticed the noise a few weeks ago, got a new motor pump fitted & I can still hear a noise.

Hopefully the work next week will sort it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts