Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2005 Kangoo Trekka 4x4 DcI 80 @ 30,000 miles - which has developed the most almighty metallic racket when the vehicle is moving and under load.

The noise does not occur when the vehicle is revved when stationary or when the engine if revving freely when moving. If the engine is made to labour ever so slightly - say a constant 30mph in 4th a noise occurs which is incredibly loud and sounds almost like a fire-bell.

Speed doesn't seem to be factor either, bring it under additional load at walking pace (by selecting second early) and you can recreate the problem.

It's had the heat shielding checked for looseness- no problem.

It also had a collapsed CAT - which was thought to be the source of the metallic noise - replaced under warranty - but didn't fix the problem - just a lucky find.

It's just been back to Renault who now suspect a propshaft fault; and talked about damaged balancer weights(?)

Does that sound right? am trying to understand why it would make such a racket at walking pace if that were true when the prop would be barely turning? or does it spin more quickly than you might think? Or is the labouring engine just shaking the damaged propshaft?

So many questions - I apologise - but it is starting to take up a huge amount of time and expense now :-(

Many Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rattly Trekka

Mine rattles under load, (its because I,m too lazy to get underneath and sort out the heat shields!!!! or rather I,m waiting for the VCU to pack up so I have an excuse to take it all apart including the exhaust. In truth though, I,m fed up with this Trekka!!!! It never goes wrong (replaced only the Vibration damper and a cracked wire in the door pillar - in 3 whole years) granted it gets an oil service every 3 months and about every 6 months I clean out the air mass meter (runs much smoother after this) I hardly ever pressure wash it and never have polished it!!!! I run it along parts of the ridgeway in deep water (up to bonnet in places) and mud, lots of mud, when the snow was around I was up in the cotswolds above snowshill and all around that area ploughing through deep drifts and snow so deep that if you stop you are stuck!!!!! and still it keeps on going. The transmission has been making a tinkling sound for the past 3 yrs (hear it when in a quiet lane with walls close by) and nothing has gone wrong!!!!!! 4 wheel drive still works admirably.!!! so what is it with this damn thing!!!! is it a supercar??? and renault must be stupid not doing a new version...I would certainly replace mine with new if they made one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me too (With the rattling)

I have on 52 plate dci trekka, also have the fire bell rattle under load, fed up with scaring pedestrians. . . any ideas, have been toying with buying some bits of ebay and removing a "torsional damper unit" on the propshaft, to tell the truth it is guess work. A concrete fix would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have used a sledge hammer to crack the walnut, I removed the whole rear drive train, it uncouples from the tramission at the front via 4 allen bolts, then a few nuts, bolts and angle grindings later, you have a lovely rattle free trekka, better fuel economy, smoother drive etc etc.

more info http://kangoo-trekka-club.org

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have a 2003 Kangoo 4x4 which is used for distribution of aid in northern Romania. It has excessive vibration noise when on over-run, but which disappears when under load. This has been traced to the complete failure of the prop shaft centre bush/bearing.
Does anyone know if this rubber bush is available separately from the prop shaft, or is it a complete component (£400+)

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

As a general consensus any component of the propshaft is not avaibale seperatly, people genrally end up either

-fixing the components them selves

-buying a whole new propshaft (oe a reconditioned one)

The kangoo trekka have very specific parts and is a complete dog in that respect.

Perhaps you could have your one refurbished over the summer (trekka will run fine without it) in time for next winter??

http://kangoo-trekka-club.org

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2003 Kangoo 4x4 which is used for distribution of aid in northern Romania. It has excessive vibration noise when on over-run, but which disappears when under load. This has been traced to the complete failure of the prop shaft centre bush/bearing.
Does anyone know if this rubber bush is available separately from the prop shaft, or is it a complete component (£400+)

Thanks
hi there
you need two of these as much I know
http://www.driveshaftparts.co.uk/center-bearings/cbrs/prod_39.html.
there is instruction of how to install them on the same page

regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have used a sledge hammer to crack the walnut, I removed the whole rear drive train, it uncouples from the tramission at the front via 4 allen bolts, then a few nuts, bolts and angle grindings later, you have a lovely rattle free trekka, better fuel economy, smoother drive etc etc.

more info http://kangoo-trekka-club.org
if you don,t mind me asking how much cutting is there involved on the halfshafts

·
Registered
9 Posts
As an update, we were able to source the rubber bushes on Ebay. They may not be quite the original quality, or perhaps it's the conditions in which this vehicle works, but we reckon to replace one or other of the bearings each year so we now keep a stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts