Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have BT Broadband option package 2 with a 210 Router on Ethernet and have been running at 2.2mbps with no trouble at all for 12 months and i have just changed to BT Broadband Total wireless option package 2 at 4.4mbps and keep getting knock off line and yes i have done a line check and say all is ok they are know telling me that i have to come back down to 2.2 for it to smooth things out WAY?????????????thanks
Donald

A

·
0 Posts
IT'S QUITE COMPLICATED

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THIS:

Your connection speed should have been tested over approx two weeks to make sure the line speed can be maintained at that speed then set at the exchange.

The distance your home is from the exchange has a lot to do with what connection speed you end up with, the nearer the faster the connection.

Your computer modem may well connect you at a very high speed but this may drop off quite fast after connecting. This is one explanation for your problems.

OTHER THINGS AFFECT YOUR CONNECTION.

Even your firewall can affect it.

Have a look at this on connection speed improvement.

It's not an easy test you need to download programs.
A bit long winded.

PC World - More Broadband for Your Buck

I would think if pinned down the problem is with them.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IT'S QUITE COMPLICATED

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THIS:

Your connection speed should have been tested over approx two weeks to make sure the line speed can be maintained at that speed then set at the exchange.

The distance your home is from the exchange has a lot to do with what connection speed you end up with, the nearer the faster the connection.

Your computer modem may well connect you at a very high speed but this may drop off quite fast after connecting. This is one explanation for your problems.

OTHER THINGS AFFECT YOUR CONNECTION.

Even your firewall can affect it.

Have a look at this on connection speed improvement.

It's not an easy test you need to download programs.
A bit long winded.

PC World - More Broadband for Your Buck

I would think if pinned down the problem is with them.
Hi mag1 its you again to answer my question you are on the ball:d i think what i will do is wait and see what happens once they have done what they said they were going to do touch wood its been ok today but iam not holding my breath thanks all the best

Donald

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
If you've just switched over Donald, then this will be your equipment trying to find the optimum connection speed. This can last for 10 days, so be prepared to get well and truly pissed off with it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chris,

Copper wires aren't so bad when you're downloading two separate files (700mb and 300mb) from the same server consecutively at an average of 300 kb/sec !!!

Ok, I'm on an upto 8mb line with Sky, and the speed does fluctuate in the early evening, but the majority of the time the performance is great - I've seen download speeds in excess of 700kb/sec for some files.

There is a download manager involved as well, and this will be on the IT forum shortly, but compared to my previous cable broadband supplier the performance is far superior.

Regards

Ade

1 - 7 of 7 Posts